• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Bad Weather (1 Viewer)

Jamzky

Just to comment. I have noticed over the years something really nice. Inspite of the frequent rain and wind that Ireland suffers from, the birds are still out and about and visible, it's just a matter of looking harder. Not only on the mudflats where rain and waders get on just fine but also upland farms where i do most of my bird noticing. I find bad weather days strangely exciting for surprises especially regarding raptors. They seem to spring up out of nowhere or be much less wary on windy days. Mistle thrushes of course love to sing but most others too. In case anyone felt that birding was no good on bad weather days. It isn't true so don't dispair. Get muffled up well and head out.

I imagine the birds don´t give a fiddler´s for the weather, as long as they can find food. And it freezes so infrequently here in Ireland, food is pretty much always available. Can´t remember when was the last time snow covered the ground here. That´s why so many are sedentary here, or so I´ve read. I love birding in bad weather too, only problem is as the body temperature drops and blood sugar falls, and I´m soaked to the skin, there´s a point beyond which I don´t really care about birds anymore...;)

I enjoy watching the bathefests the birds have just after heavy rain. There are often large puddles that I can see from my window, and there is almost always a bird splashing about. Enjoy watching the pigeons, as they lie on one side with one wing in the air, then turn over and do the other side!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back