• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nile Cruise birding (1 Viewer)

Katy Penland

Will be going to Egypt and Jordan in early February 2020, prolly only birder in our small, private group but want to take advantage of every minute I'm there. First time in Egypt so any and all advice gratefully welcomed!

I know we'll be doing the obligatory Giza desert, Nile Cruise, not sure if we'll get down as far as the Delta area, and a side trip to Jordan (Petra area).

More important, what's the best birding book to get now so I can start studying? I have my old worn copy of the Mullarney, Svenson et al Birds of Europe which might be helpful for wintering birds but not sure it'll be sufficient for non-migratory spp.

Thanks in advance!

The field guide should be sufficient, except for rarities.

If you go to the vacation report part of the forum, you should have access to several reports for Egypt -- even if many of them are old: https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=244
From my own experience, there are worse things than sitting on the upper deck of such a boat with a drink in your hand and a telescope next to you for seeing birds while the boat meanders down the river.

Niels

Is Egypt currently restricting optics at the borders or have I grossly misremembered hearing something?

The field guide should be sufficient, except for rarities.

If you go to the vacation report part of the forum, you should have access to several reports for Egypt -- even if many of them are old: https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=244
From my own experience, there are worse things than sitting on the upper deck of such a boat with a drink in your hand and a telescope next to you for seeing birds while the boat meanders down the river.

Niels
LOL, no kidding! Thanks for that, Niels. No scope this trip, just bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back