• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vietnam March 2019 (1 Viewer)

Pash44

Hi All

I am in early stages of planning a trip to Vietnam in early March 2019 after a cycling tour from Ho Chi Minh to Saigon. This will be at the end of a 7 week trip and my wife is not keen to add on a Vietnamese leg so I am looking to see if anyone is up for a shared trip. I would plan to use guides in some places due to language and logistics issues and will definitely start from Hanoi to do northern sites and am open to central and south for a maximum trip of 3 weeks. If this is too long, still get in touch as I am still flexible. North will focus on Cuc Phuong and Tam Dao with possibility of Sa Pa. I have not birded Vietnam before so there should be lots of new birds.

I might be able to swing a leave pass for a week, but not 3. If that could work with you let me know!

Hi,
I'm definitely up for three weeks in Vietnam North, Central and South.
Please send details and possible itinerary to [email protected].
Tx
Colin Wood

I am in early stages of planning a trip to Vietnam in early March 2019 after a cycling tour from Ho Chi Minh to Saigon. This will be at the end of a 7 week trip and my wife is not keen to add on a Vietnamese leg so I am looking to see if anyone is up for a shared trip. I would plan to use guides in some places due to language and logistics issues and will definitely start from Hanoi to do northern sites and am open to central and south for a maximum trip of 3 weeks. If this is too long, still get in touch as I am still flexible. North will focus on Cuc Phuong and Tam Dao with possibility of Sa Pa. I have not birded Vietnam before so there should be lots of new birds.[/QUOTE]

Hi, access to the birding trails at tam Dao has been difficult from 2017 up until at least April this year. There’s a thread about it elsewhere on birdforum.
Also the “old” fansipan trail from the love waterfall car park was overgrown and impossible to follow for long in April.
But a guide could help round either of those issues (I was alone)
Cheers
James

Thanks James
Having read lots of trip reports and hearing many tales of access issues - guided is my preference. Best birds, easier logistics and insider info on best local food is a winning combo!

It might well work for you to do a week - depends on numbers we get in the end but let's keep in touch as plan develops.

Pash

I might be able to swing a leave pass for a week, but not 3. If that could work with you let me know!

Update

Some interest already but 1 space and still gathering prices for a 3 week itinerary. Should come in around $3k for 3 weeks. If you would rather contact me directly, rather than posting here please email me on

[email protected]

Many thanks

Some interest already but 1 space and still gathering prices for a 3 week itinerary. Should come in around $3k for 3 weeks. If you would rather contact me directly, rather than posting here please email me on

[email protected]

Many thanks

I visited Cat tien, Dalat, cuc phuong and sapa, alone. 4 weeks. It was easy, saw lots, no problems. Spent about 1000 dollars.

Some more details on Vietnam itinerary with goal of finding most of the Endemics/Near-Endemics of Vietnam. 2 spaces remaining.

22 day North, Central Highlands and South trip with well-respected guide and drivers, transport including boat trips, internal flights, accommodation park and hide fees.

Itinerary will cover Cuc Phuong, Tam Dao (or alternatives), Van Long, Danang, Bach Ma, Tu Mo Rong, Mang Den, Dalat, Bi Duop, Di Linh and Cat Tien.

Special targets include Golden-winged Laughingthrush, Red-tailed Laughingthrush, Chestnut-eared Laughingthrush, Grey-crowned Crocia, Germain's Peacock Pheasant, Sooty Babbler, Vietnamese Cutia, Black-crowned Barwing, Blue-rumped Pitta, Bar-bellied Pitta, Collared Laughingthrush and Short-tailed Scimitar Babbler amongst others

Departure date from Hanoi March 9th 2019

PM me if you are interested for full details

Tx Pash,
As there are now effectively 3 of us. cost would be very good for additional folks.

Here are the prices
Number of birders 4 5 6
Cost / person (approx.) $2,400 $2080 $1900

Anyone interested in joining us Please write to Pash and ask for the itinerary.

Once again this is a 22 day tour and starts 9th March.
Colin

Unfortunately due to illness we have lost 1 participant from this trip. Options to do full 22 days (North - Central - South) or single/double legs. Small group confirmed - looking for 1 or 2 more. PM me if you would like further details. Thanks

Pash is travelling at the moment, but there are still seats available if you are thinking of jumping on!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

nice report!

But I politely disagree with this sentence:
"As we were travelling with a guide. I have not included GPS locations as I believe only those birding independently should share such information. Some locations should only be birded with a guide as noted in the detailed text below"

Sorry Lieven, but I think not giving out details on locations of birds in Vietnam is a very wise decision indeed.
I think you should only share them with people you know.

I agree about not sharing too many details about certain species in countries where birds get trapped, but I just don’t think this was Vietnam-specific.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back