• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frustrated Eyeglass Wearers Rejoice (1 Viewer)

As someone who wears eyeglasses I have always struggled with eye relief of spotting scopes. I wanted to share something that has made my spotting scope experience much much better. I had an old pair of glasses with broken frames and I popped out the lenses. Then attached the right lens directly to the eyepiece with 2 rubber bands. Now all I have to do is take my glasses off and I can get a great full field view without making any contact with the scope. The EP is the 27x wDS with the Nikon ED50. Not sure how this setup will work with every eyepiece but it works really well with this combo and only takes a quick second to setup or take down. Anyways, I am really excited about this and thought I would share.

Hi,

thanks for sharing, sounds like a great idea and for spotting scopes it is new, I think.

For astro eyepieces not so much, Televue offers correction lenses ground to your prescription which fit in front of some of their astro EPs - not cheap but some like those.

Joachim

With the 27x eyepiece on your scope, the exit pupil is less than 2 mm, so unless you have severe astigmatism (a large cylindrical correction) in your viewing eye, I don't think the use of your spectacle lens will result in any visual improvement. A spherical correction (simple far or near sightedness) is compensated by the focusser of the scope.

John

I have heard that the focus of the scope should compensate but at least for me and on every scope I've used I have always seen details more clearly when viewing through my prescription lenses.

I have heard that the focus of the scope should compensate but at least for me and on every scope I've used I have always seen details more clearly when viewing through my prescription lenses.

Then it sounds as if you have quite strong astigmatism in your viewing eye and need a cylindrical correction in your glasses.
I'm not familiar with Nikon eyepieces, but believe yours is intended for digiscoping and may lack a rubber eyecup. Perhaps you could cobble up some protection with a piece of tyre inner tube to prevent glass-to-glass or glass-to-metal contact and simply leave your glasses on.

John

Hi,

the 27/40/50x DS has a rubber eyecup - no problem with glass to glass contact. The point is probably the lack of eye relief and thus a diminished field of view since the distance between eye and the lens in your glasses is fixed... which it should be for optimal performance, but obviously a bit less distance is better than a than a limited field or no glasses...

https://www.nikon.de/de_DE/product/...ces-fieldscope/27x-40x-50x-wide-ds#tech_specs

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back