• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shoveler Hybrid? Lunt Liverpool UK (March 2019) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Was deleting some folders and came across this photo taken in March of this year.

Is it a Shoveler hybrid?
And if so, then any ideas as to which other bird was 'involved'?

cheers

Attachments

• shoveler hybrid.jpg
    shoveler hybrid.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 117
It doesn't have the curly tail feathers of the mallard! I've taken some of the shadows from the photo. Looks more like a shoveler to me!

Attachments

• shoveler hybrid.jpg
    shoveler hybrid.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
It doesn't have the curly tail feathers of the mallard! I've taken some of the shadows from the photo. Looks more like a shoveler to me!
The profile is not that of the Shoveler.
This bird indeed seems to be intermediate between Mallard and Shoveler as mentioned in the initial message.
I don't know if such a hybrid exists.
Jean

I think it's just a domestic mallard - some domestic forms have relatively large bills, especially when the head feathers are wet after feeding (as seems to be the case on this bird). The lack of curly tail feathers is not important - females and young birds don't show this feature.
I don't see any clear evidence of shoveler influence in this bird. Shoveler is quite a short-nnecked, large-headed species, and I'd expect to see more sign of this on a hybrid.

I think it's just a domestic mallard - some domestic forms have relatively large bills, especially when the head feathers are wet after feeding (as seems to be the case on this bird). The lack of curly tail feathers is not important - females and young birds don't show this feature.
I don't see any clear evidence of shoveler influence in this bird. Shoveler is quite a short-nnecked, large-headed species, and I'd expect to see more sign of this on a hybrid.

Agree, barnyard Mallard. . ..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back