• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Editing an Opus (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

I'm probably not alone here in being confused by much of the new stuff about editing an opus. There are some species that I would like to work on, but I still don't really understand how to do it. Is there a blank template somewhere that includes all the relevant sections (Description, Food, Breeding etc), that we can just cut and paste into place, so we just have to fill in the gaps with the relevant information?

Tom

Templates or guidelines?

Are there any templates or guidelines for the format of pages?

I'm wanting to create a new location page and edit a few existing ones. I'm wondering what conventions to use for headings and content. For example, what format should the title be for a UK location?

Site name
Site name, County name
Site name (County name)
etc.

Hi Ben,
Many thanks for your contributions to opus so far :clap:
Adding new articles (i.e. locations) seems to be restricted at the moment... not sure that i can add them at this stage.
Ollie will be along shortly to explain things in simple terms as far as layout and suchlike.

One thing all can help with is the bleeding over of text in a number of articles (due to the importing format).
All you need do when seeing a page with text stretching right across and messing up the layout is edit the text (use main edit tab at top of article) so that there are no spaces at the side of the page.
example: (--- are used to denote spaces here)

This large artificial reservoir lies in north-east Slovakia close to the border with Poland and forms an important stop-over point for migrants during passage periods.
---Many species can be seen in these varied habitats including storks, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Spotted Crake, Corn Crake, Red-backed Shrike and Common Rosefinch. However, much of the area is pine forest and frequented by Hazel

The spaces before 'many species' is the culprit. Simply get rid of these spaces and the problem is cured. For the sake of breaking up the text for easier viewing, it's best to have a blank line to separate these paragraphs... so it looks like this

This large artificial reservoir lies in north-east Slovakia close to the border with Poland and forms an important stop-over point for migrants during passage periods.

Many species can be seen in these varied habitats including storks, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Spotted Crake, Corn Crake, Red-backed Shrike and Common Rosefinch. However, much of the area is pine forest and frequented by Hazel

I fixed all location articles up to about the letter 'I' but they also appear in Bird Species.

cheers,
Andy

I'm probably not alone here in being confused by much of the new stuff about editing an opus. There are some species that I would like to work on, but I still don't really understand how to do it. Is there a blank template somewhere that includes all the relevant sections (Description, Food, Breeding etc), that we can just cut and paste into place, so we just have to fill in the gaps with the relevant information?

Tom

Hi Tom,
Much of what is there at the moment was imported from the old database, where there wasn't a defined structure used (or wasn't strictly adherred to anyway)
We don't have a predefined template at this very moment but we will have very shortly. But to give an idea of how it would be implemented
Pasting the following into the article (main edit tab along top of article) would give separate sections to edit.
==Description==
==Distribution==
==Identification==
==Habitat==

I'm not too sure about having both description and identification sections, identification would seem to be enough on its own.
cheers,
Andy

Adding new articles (i.e. locations) seems to be restricted at the moment... not sure that i can add them at this stage.
Ollie will be along shortly to explain things in simple terms as far as layout and suchlike.

One thing all can help with is the bleeding over of text in a number of articles (due to the importing format).
Thanks Andy. I'll hold my horses then :)
I noticed the text bleeding on the Ogston page, but after my edits it was fixed... now I know why.

Cheers!

P.S. To all involved in the changes... Excellent idea and an equally excellent job!

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I'll hold my horses then :)
I noticed the text bleeding on the Ogston page, but after my edits it was fixed... now I know why.

Cheers!

P.S. To all involved in the changes... Excellent idea and an equally excellent job!

Hi Ben, you may be able to create a new article if you put the name of the article you want to create in the search box, and it comes up as not found... it gives you the chance to create an article. I haven't investigated it fully... so there may be restrictions.

cheers,
Andy

Tom; it isn't a template as requested by Ben, but the section I just edited on the Channel-billed Toucan should give you an idea of a few of the things you can do, with e.g. text in bold and italic, redirects (from e.g. Yellow-ridged Toucan) and links to other species:

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Channel-billed_Toucan

If clicking "edit", the code (or whatever you wan't to call it) can be seen. It is also worth noting that any mistaken edits, while obviously something you should try to avoid, easily can be reverted.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back