• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stephennj's 2008 yearlist (1 Viewer)

Finally something new at the local lake , one of my favorite Ducks. I'll need to get out over the holidays for 400 total.

392. Wood Duck

Snowy Owl ? and Monk Parakeet Search

I went to Liberty State Park in Jersey City at 5:00 am to chase the Snowy Owl this morning. No luck on the Owl but birded all morning. Some good ones today were Coopers Hawk, Ruddy Duck, Hooded Merganser , Black-crowned Night Heron , American Black Duck , Mute Swan and load of Brant ! new bird in the mix included a new lifer :

# 393 - Brant
# 394 - Gadwall
I figured I would stop by on the way home to the little known Monk Parakeet colony not far from me. I finally saw them today and they were beautiful ,intelligent and actually cuddly ! Secretly happy to see this Parrot species adapting here and somehow they break the rules for my feelings twoards invasive species. They were collecting sticks for their nest and flying /foraging very catively and they seemed to warm up the chilly air with their green plumage and Neotropicness !! They were larger than I imagined and thier tails and coats are vibrant.

# 395 - Monk Parakeet

Pics are :
Brant
Cooper's Hawk
Statue of Liberty
Monk Parakeets
Monk Parakeets

still hoping for 400 !

Attachments

• Brant11-2008 (Medium).jpg
    Brant11-2008 (Medium).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 78
  • CoopersHawk11-2008 (Medium).jpg
    CoopersHawk11-2008 (Medium).jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Liberty (Medium).jpg
    Liberty (Medium).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 63
  • monkparakeet11-2008 (Medium).jpg
    monkparakeet11-2008 (Medium).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 115_7741 (Medium).jpg
    115_7741 (Medium).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
After double-checking my list I realized I counted the following birds twice :
Bald Eagle
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture

I also neglected to count the very common Ring-billed Gull and Black-capped Chickadee, doing the math I now am sitting officially at :

#393 Ring-billed Gull
#394 Black-capped Chickadee

six birds off my target of 400 , the plot thickens.

Last edited:
Trying for 400 !

I finally got out today after the Christmas season is finished. The Meadowlands provided great birding this morning with it's varied habitat and mild weather. Some good birds were Belted Kingfisher, Northern Harrier, Ruby-crowned Kinglet , American Tree Sparrow , Common Merganser , Bufflehead , Ruddy Duck and the following year birds with two very unexpected self-found Life Birds !

#395 Green-winged Teal
#396 Canvasback
#397 Rough-legged Hawk (Wow!)
#398 Snowy Owl (Finally!!!)

#399 American Kestrel

I still need one more bird for 400 !!!!!!!!!

pics below are Northern Harrier and Snowy Owl

Attachments

• northernharrier.jpg
    northernharrier.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 94
  • snowy owl 2008.jpg
    snowy owl 2008.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I spent two hours of frantic birding today , checking a few habitats and seeing good birds , none however were new year birds ! I might have to bow out at 399 for the year barring a miracle tomorrow.

400 will be my fanal tally for '08 . As fate would have it I never counted the abundant Northen Mockingbird !!

#400 Northen Mockingbird

Enjoyed a New Year's celebration last night and wishing all here a fine 2009 . It was fun year-listing and checking in with the other member's lists so I have started my '09 list allready and plan on detailing again here.
Happy New Year !!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back