• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Auckland Islands Teal (1 Viewer)

Scientific and Common Name

The entry in opus for the Flightless Teal has it as Anas chlorotis . However, according to both the IOC English Names V2.0 and Clements V6.3.2 the species found in the Auckland Island group is Anas aucklandica, which has been give to the Brown Teal in opus.

There are two species of New Zealand flightless teals in both Clements and IOC. One in the Campbell Islands and one in the Auckland Islands.

Since there is already an opus entry for the Campbell Island one, I suggest re-naming this one to the Auckland Islands Teal (Clements) or Auckland Teal (IOC).

Opinions on this anyone?

ps. I also have a photo of an actual Auckland Teal that I took on Enderby Island on 8 January 2007. I would be glad to contribute this photo for the entry.

Thanks for pointing out the discrepancies, MariettaBirder. We'll look into it and get things sorted out.

We certainly would appreciate a photo of the Auckland Teal. Please post it here and we'll get it uploaded asap.

Thanks MariettaBirder,

I think that the mess is sorted out now. It would be great to have your image in Opus.

Alan

Auckland Teal Photo

Here is my closeup photo of Anas aucklandica the Auckland Teal (IOC v2.0)) or Auckland Islands Teal (Clements v6.3.2) that I took on Enderby Island, Auckland Islands, NZ on 8 January 2007.

These are quite elusive birds as they cling to the shore of the small ponds on the island and are frequently under overhanging vegetation. I only saw two of them even though I checked many of the ponds. Many others in our party didn't see any.

Attachments

• Teal, Auckland, Enderby Is NZ 1668.jpg
    Teal, Auckland, Enderby Is NZ 1668.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 165
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back