• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long do you spend "Watching" (1 Viewer)

ROBL250

Im wondering as to how long other fellow birders get to spend watching birds, Im currently unemployed (which does has its advantages ie more time watching birds) but what about you guys and girls who only get weekend or holidays to watch them.
I usually spend around 5/6 hours bird-watching, im getting used to the different kinds of songs and colours that the birds have (Plane-spotting is dull compared to bird-spotting, at least birds have personalities lol.)
Ive only began bird-watching so im quite a beginner, Im still after the G.G. Shrike in chapel-en-le-Frith (Ive looked for 3 weeks now, but still it evades me.)
So just how long do you spend a day, and do you spend the time looking for a certain bird, or like myself just to see whats around, also what kinds of "Techniques" do you use for bird-watching, such as colour of clothes, choice of clothes etc.

Thanks.

No real techniques, Rob - at least only those I've picked up over many years. I'm no expert but I would say I have been interested all my life. Time spent - soon to diminish drastically as I've recently been off school (I teach English) ill - but back after Easter! Then - back to Sunday mornings each week and sometimes all day with late afternoons / early evenings as and when planning and marking allow.

I'm very sorry you're out of a job, by the way, and so this suggestion might be a bit insensitive or out of the question, but... if you can afford it you might look into buying the CD-ROM Guide to British Birds. It has sound and video for all British species and getting to know the song is half the battle - especially once the leaves grow! If you can push the boat out further, get the Collins bird guide - there's not one better on the market.

Another tip is to go along to your local RSPB or ornithological society meetings - some are excellent, some not. Also, getting to a reserve with hides where you can chat to other birders is helpful. And finally... find a local patch that is "yours" and walk it regularly, listing all you see, where and when and what conditions are prevailing.

Last edited:
Glad you're on the mend, Brian after such a long time poorly. Birding is a fine hobby to help you recuperate!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back