• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deeping Lakes Nature Reserve opens in Lincolnshire Sunday 19 September (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

Deeping Lakes Nature Reserve opens in Lincolnshire

A major new nature reserve with exciting opportunities for fenland wildlife is opening for the first time on Sunday 19 September near Deeping St James in South Lincolnshire.

The Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust is pleased to announce the opening of Deeping Lakes Nature Reserve, an attractive area of Fen landscape in the south of Lincolnshire, after a period of management works to improve public access and wildlife habitats.

Deeping Lakes Nature Reserve Deeping Lakes is a complex of flooded gravel pits; it is a shining example of how nature can reclaim former industrial sites. The Trust purchased the largest lake, which forms a major part of the reserve, in 2003 with generous grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund and English Nature Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund. The adjoining lakes are leased, forming an area of 71 hectares managed for wildlife.

Dave Vandome, Deeping Lakes Project Officer, says: "The main lake (formerly known as 'The Lake') was excavated in the late 1800s and has largely developed naturally since then. The two areas of smaller lakes and pools (formerly known as Welland Bank Quarry) were excavated in the 1990s. Being of relatively recent origin they contrast markedly with the older lake. The Lake is already noted for its wildfowl and waterbird communities, and is designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest."

The special Open Day has been organised so that people can find out about the reserve and its wildlife. Between 10.30am and 4.30pm, Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust staff and volunteers will be on site to talk to visitors and answer questions about the reserve.

There will also be opportunities to walk round the reserve and visit the new bird hide. Refreshments will be available and there will be a Trust sales stall and plant stall.

The Exotic Pet Refuge, adjacent to the nature reserve, is also opening for visitors on Sunday 19 September. The Refuge is a charitable organisation that is run with the sole aim of caring
for exotic animals that are either no longer wanted or find themselves homeless.

How to get there!

1. Deeping Lakes Nature Reserve is located south of the manned level crossing in Deeping St James on the B1166. Access is by an unmade road off the B1166, approximately 1km south of the level crossing (at the sharp bend near the banks of the River Welland). A car park is provided, located 400m from the reserve entrance along the unmade road. Further information about the reserve can be found at www.lincstrust.org.uk/reserves

2. The Heritage Lottery Fund uses money from the National Lottery to give grants to support a wide range of projects involving the local, regional and national heritage of the United
Kingdom. The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) enables communities to celebrate, look after and learn more about our diverse heritage including our natural heritage.

3. The Aggregates Levy, introduced in 2002, aims to address the social and environmental costs of aggregate extraction. Part of the money raised by the levy is distributed through the
Sustainability Fund, administered by English Nature, English Heritage and the Countryside Agency.

4. The Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust, a voluntary charitable organisation, manages around 100 nature reserves throughout the historic county of Lincolnshire - from the Humber to the Wash.

More Information
Dave Vandome, Deeping Lakes Project Officer
Tel: 07775 566586

Rachel Shaw, Public Relations Assistant

Tel: 01507 526667 (ansaphone out of office hours)
Fax: 01507 525732
Email: [email protected]

Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust
Banovallum House
Manor House Street
Horncastle
Lincolnshire LN9 5HF

1. Deeping Lakes Nature Reserve is located south of the manned level crossing in Deeping St James on the B1166. Access is by an unmade road off the B1166, approximately 1km south of the level crossing (at the sharp bend near the banks of the River Welland). A car park is provided, located 400m from the reserve entrance along the unmade road. Further information about the reserve can be found at www.lincstrust.org.uk/reserves

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse....&local=&kw=&srec=0&mapsize=big&db=freegaz&rt=

Sounds good. I doubt I'll be able to get there this weekend (sick cat to nurse). But will mark it down for a trip later in the year.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry you can't make it this Sunday. I hope you enjoy the reserve sometime soon.

walwyn said:
Sounds good. I doubt I'll be able to get there this weekend (sick cat to nurse). But will mark it down for a trip later in the year.

Pergrine at Deeping Lakes open day

At Deeping Lakes this am a Peregrine Falcon was seen roosting on the far side of Dandrige's Pit which took flight to the consternation of several Wood Pigeons.

Hobby also seen during a bright and breezy open day at the Lincs Wildlife Trust's open day at Deeping Lakes near Deeping St James.

So many people turned up an overflow car had to be used.

I'm planning to visit Shefield and Lincoln in late November, I wonder if I could visit this or any of the nature reserves then? This would only be my 2nd visit to the UK.

Joe Pan said:
I'm planning to visit Shefield and Lincoln in late November, I wonder if I could visit this or any of the nature reserves then? This would only be my 2nd visit to the UK.

Joe you'd be very welcome to visit in November

In and Around Lincoln

Joe Pan said:
Joe, I'm no expert but always like to help, if I can.
I live in Lincoln (by the River Witham - next-door neighbours are fish and swans !).
Deeping Lakes is WELL out of Lincoln, say 30-40 mile, and Public transport is Lincolnshire is "limited" !!!
You're coming in Nov so around Lincoln, you can expect a decent selection of widfowl at Whisby - Tufted, Teal, Wigeon, Pochard, Goldeneye, you stand a 90%+ chance of seeing, and then a few rarer varieties put in guest appearances. Whisby has a superb visitor's centre and cafe over-looking the lakes (I'm planning to have a work meeting there, over coffee soon!). I love Whisby in the later Spring, with Nightingales and Orchids but I can't change the seasons for you !
However, a major issue is access to Whisby http://lincstrust.org.uk/reserves/nr/reserve.php?mapref=69 . Getting there by Public Transport's an art-form, so if you're not hiring a car, as far as I know, a bus will get you two miles from it http://www.roadcar.co.uk/index.html, but if you take a train to Hykeham you're a fraction less - with a high-speed dual carriageway to cross by either route !
If you're a "twitcher" intent on dedicated bird reserves, favourite would be train to Hykeham, (possibly that's a "request-only stop"?!?!)http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/planm...ney_requirements.asp?&T2ID=3682_2004105233143 and negotiate 2 taxi's from there to Whisby, and back !

Although, Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust have three reserves around Lincoln, a park in the Southern outskirts of Lincoln, whilst having "urban" family areas, is worthy of note. Hartsholme Country Park, with Swanholme Lakes attached, has a lot of species on occasions, and it makes a fairly decent way to walk towards Whisby (but a decent walk it is!). Bus access to Hartsholme is simple (66 and others) http://www.lincoln.gov.uk/Information_page_+_3_pic_det.asp?id=3480&sec_id=1019 Hartsholme has a very "family" oriented entrance, but then has 90% nature reserve, with Greater Spotted, Lesser Spotted, and Green Woodpeckers, an "embryonic" Heronry, breeding Egyptian, Canada, Graylag, and Bean Geese, Kingfishers, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Tanwy Owls (their neighbours live across the river from me!), and a number of other species troughout the year. Again there's a cafe, in the summer months, but Nov ? I'm not sure ! There's a schools-oriented visitors centre that's got some value to it.

I've only recently found Boultham Mere http://lincstrust.org.uk/reserves/nr/reserve.php?mapref=81. It boasts over-wintering Bitterns, and a similar selection of wildfowl to Whisby. It is seriously BASIC by comparison with Whisby so take you're own pack-up lunch and flask of coffee, and warm clothing !!! I get the feeling that there's far more, and rarer birdlife there, but my kids, and dog have meant I've not spent quality time there. Access is slightly easier, but a GOOD MAP to even find the place is a minimum, as despite the fact it's hardy any distance from Central Lincoln, I'll bet 99.9% of those born and bred here don't know it exists, and you've got a 1/2 mile walk min. from the nearest area to park (and you need to be a local to work out-where that'd be !). I'd spend a 1/2 day there, given the chance!

We started off talking about Deeping Lakes... you'd be reasonably close to Rutland Water there. I can't vouch for Deepings but Rutland is a jewel is the UK's wildlife treasury !!! http://www.rutlandwater.u-net.com/rw/RW.home.htm Access is good via road, AND Publice transort, and the Bird Reserve Centre is well equipped and comfortable. I spent my 40th Birthday there, what else can I say ! Osprey, Smew, Kingfishers, every duck you can think of and others... I saw 45 species on my 40th! Worth a day of any birdwatcher's time.

All the best, and I hope you enjoy your visit .

Hi Chris
Sorry for this late reply, I was just able to get back to this forum. Thank you very much indeed for the very detailed info.
In fact we (wife & I, who are in our early 50s) would be going to attend our daughter's graduation in Sheffield in mid-Nov, and then maybe go to Lincoln where my son is staying. As he has his own car I think transportation would not be such a problem. But I'm still not sure about my exact itinerary as a friend in Preston might have planned something up for us (non-birding).
I'm not exactly a serious birder, but have just taken up bird-photography here in Malaysia. But I sure would love to see/shoot some British birds. Your information would absolutely be precious and I'm printing out a hard copy to bring along.
Thank you again.
Joe.

Deeping Lakes

Made my first visit to the new reserve at Deeping Lakes on Sunday after returning home just up the road at Bourne after a couple of months out of the country. Even when I am in the Camargue, I find myself looking forward to getting back to the East Coast. I guess some people would question my sanity but we really don't always appreciate how lucky we are in this country.

Just wanted to say what a great job Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust have done with this location and it can only get better as it becomes more established.

As a regular by-passer of my own back yard in my desire to get to the East Coast, I am delighted to now have a location closer to home that I can spend some relaxing hours at. There are other locations in South Lincs but not with the same combination of accessibility, convenience, range of species and habitat that Deeping Lakes seems to offer. Within 10 mins of arriving there I had excellent views of a Long Tailed Duck. Not a bad start and even though it seemed a quietish afternoon, I still managed about 40 species in about an hour and a half. The view from the hide which faces North is extensive and superb.

If anybody is considering a trip to this neck of the woods, I can thoroughly recommend a visit to Deeping lakes.

Steve

The Long-tailed Duck (the fourth for the Peterborough area) has been present since 5 Nov along with a Black-necked Grebe on the same lake (although that wasn't seen on Sunday).

July last year you could have been watching a White-winged Black Tern from that hide (except the hide wasn't there then) and it wasn't far away that the Great Reed Warbler was singing in 2001. The range of waders and other birds this site has been attracting recently is impressive.

Peterborough Bird Club is working with the Trust to help manage the reserve with birds in mind.

There are some stunning pics of the Duck (probably an immature male) here and here.

Look forward to visiting often in the future and have told quite a few friends in the County (Lincs) about it. I was in the hide on Sunday when Will and Josh were taking their shots - the light had that special quality that this time of year can bring sometimes.

Apologies for giving all the credit for development to The Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust - my error as I am sure the PBC will have been involved with this location for many years.

I will be visiting again later this week as there is some clear and crisp weather promised for the weekend. May bump into you sometime.

Thanks to you and your members for making this a location to savour.

Regards,
Steve

You may also be interested to know that a Great Northern Diver was seen this afternoon on the River Welland just to the east of this reserve near Crowland Bridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back