• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gosforth Park Nature Reserve, Northumberland (1 Viewer)

Can anyone tell me how to find it?? :h?: :h?:

I found mention of it through fatbirder.com but as far as I could see it didn't give its exact location, so I would appreciate it if someone could give me directions (from the north - Morpeth, down A1).

Also, is it actually WORTH a visit?

Valerie said:

I found mention of it through fatbirder.com but as far as I could see it didn't give its exact location, so I would appreciate it if someone could give me directions (from the north - Morpeth, down A1).

yep, from the A1, come off at the gosforth roundabout first left from the slip road (1056) the hotel should be infront of you at the next little round about, turn left (still on the 1056) there is another small roundabout that go's left or right - go right down snady lane (still the 1056) untill you reach the next big roundabout (passing the car dealers to your left). at the big rounabout turn right (5ft exit) witch takes you along side the A189, passed the garden centre - the entrance is on your left!

aint been there for years now, so dont know what is still around.

Nature Reserve

Valerie said:

Don't know whether you realise Val but admission to the reserve is for members of the Northumbria Natural History Society only and careful check is kept on users. I recently became a member but have only visited the reserve on one occaision. It was well worth a look and it is one of the strongholds for Red Squirrels and certainly appears to be well managed as I suppose one would expect.. I counted 6 R Squirrels s on my walk without really looking. Not a lot in the way of birdlife when I was there but perhaps I just had a bad day.

Thanks Salty and Brian for the info.... I didnt know about having to be a member of the Natural History Society Brian so I guess I can forget about visiting now!

I used to live in Longbenton which is just half a mile or so away from it so virtually lived there when I was free & single and so didn't have to worry about 'neglecting' the other half! LOL

The birds can take a bit of finding as it's quite dense woodland with a large pond in the centre...funnily enough I've never really had anything of note on the water - apart from the usual mute swans, teal, mallard, pochard & tufted and a Water Rail a few winters ago.

However, it is one of the places where I could guarantee Jays....often hear them screaming and you can sneak up on them IF you are lucky *and very careful*....most of the time you just get a flash of their white rump as they disappear!
You are also guaranteed a Roe Deer sighting as they often jump up as you are walking through the woods...and if you stop moving they often run a few yards, stop. and then turn to look at you. I once had a fabulous Roebuck look back at me but as I was leaning against a tree he couldn't make me out and we stood staring at each other for a good few minutes!
Foxes are quite reliable too....Neil can smell them as they go by but I'm hopeless - no sense of smell whatsoever!

Gosforth Park is most enjoyable in the winter months I feel.....spent many an hour wrapped up and sitting under trees waiting for flocks of tits and other small birds to pass by.

Why not join the Natural History Society Valerie? They're really friendly and hold loads of indoor meetings every Friday during the winter months at the Hancock Museum in Newcastle and do quite a few outdoor field meetings too.

http://www.nhsn.ncl.ac.uk/

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back