• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which grebe bobs its head? (1 Viewer)

alaskabirder

Jared Conaway
2 days ago at a lodge at the Denali Highway I saw a baby grebe on a lake nearby, it was light gray on the flanks, and medium gray on the back. Its head was relatively small, so the rare Pied-billed Grebe doesn't seem to fit. Its neck was thick and stout, and at this time of year the extremely common Red-necked Grebe has a long and red neck, as well as a long yellow bill. The bird I saw had a stubbier black bill. Most distinctive was that it scooted across the water and bobbed its head and would dive often. I'm really thinking it was a Horned Grebe, which would be a fantastic lifer. So which Grebe exibits the behavior described?

It sounds a bit like a young American Coot to me, too, but all the range maps I looked at did not show Coot as regular in Alaska. Also, young American Coots still have a fairly pale bill, unlike the "black bill" described in the original post.

Last edited:
Sounds rather like a juvenile coot, although I don't know if American Coot ranges into Alaska...
No Coots in Alaska (other than the extreme southeast). Pretty safe to say it's a grebe, with Red-necked and Horned being the only options there (no Pied-billed or Eared in Alaska, either). I'd not like to say which of the two, though!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back