• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (2 Viewers)

Hello Chaps,

Pete Capsey had Blackcaps in his Garden all Winter.

Slieve Aughties this weekend Highlights- Red Grouse, Golden Plover c150, Raven, Kestrel and meadow pippits to beat the band.
No Harriers to report.
Red Grouse a surprising tick as they must be thin on the ground up there. Little heather and masses of moribund material......food must be scare so was excellent to see one.

Photos of the Ring-necked Duck at Lydacan today and Kumlien's Gull at Rossaveal on Sunday.

The Ring-necked Duck was found by Mike Davis at Lydacan near Labane of the Gort Road. Also at Lydican a Raven giving a bit grief to a few Magpies. Whooper swan with a broken wing not a pretty sight.

Dermot thanks for keeping an eye on the county list and making the corrections.

After 2 years leaving Niger seed out for the Goldfinch. 2 have been calling regular at the feeders since Friday. Normally only had one or two visiting the garden once or twice through out the year. Beautiful bird.

Attachments

• DSC01183 060409.jpg
    DSC01183 060409.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC01187 060409.jpg
    DSC01187 060409.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01192 060409.jpg
    DSC01192 060409.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC05439 050409.jpg
    DSC05439 050409.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC05457 050409.jpg
    DSC05457 050409.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks John. Shots taken for the road at the gate, using Sony HDR-SR12E camcorder + scopetronic maxview 40 eyepiece + Nikon 82ED.

Attachments

• DSCN2121 a.jpg
    DSCN2121 a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 45
Had a look over Rostaff Turlough this morning.
Not much there. 2 Gadwall (male and female) and 3 Great-crested Grebes about the best.
Apart from that a few Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler, 2 Greylags, Willow Warblers, Swallows, Sand and House Martins.

I'm going out to the Aran Islands w/c 19th April (Inishmore) DV, - Is there anything in particular to look out for - I assume there'll be Peregrines, Ravens, and Choughs on the high cliffs. What about other birds, mammals, flowers etc?

Keith.

Hi Keith

All those species such be found out on Inishmore at that time. Chough have significantly declined out there but you should still come across a few. There's a good seabird colony on the cliffs also (never been up there that time of year myself). A bike will come in handy, these can be rented out there. Trawmore an area of machair at the east side of the island can be good. I had 2 pairs of Little Terns here a few years back. Should be plenty of breeding Lapwing and a few Ringed Plovers and Wheatears also there. There are also two small loughs on the island. The first one isn't far from Kilronan, the main village on the island. Its just behind the shoreline on the righthand side of Kilronan as you arrive into the harbour (first-winter Kumlien's and a few Icelands here 3 weeks back). I had a drake Green-winged Teal at the lough at the same time. Long-billed Dowitcher and 4 Jack Snipe in at the back of it last October. The second lough is about mid way along the island on the northern edge of the island along the low road. This is where the flock of 15 Ring-necked Ducks were last October. Its also had single American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal and Ring-necked Duck in the past. If you are looking for migrant passerines there's plenty of spots worth checking. I've generally found the western side better in the past (had a singing Wood Warbler there about 8 years back). Any clumps of willows, sycamores, etc. worthy of a look.
Inishmore is a great spot for butterflies but it may be a little too early for alot of stuff. Stoats are quite common on the island and as they are the biggest native land predator on the island.
Keep an eye out for seabirds on the ferry crossing, perfect time for the likes of migrating skuas.
Let us know how you get on.

Dermot

Three year ticks for the county this morning off Lettermullan, including a county tick for myself (Puffin).
153 Arctic Skua, one dark phase.
154 Pomarine Skua, one pale adult in very close. Nearly missed it since it was so close in.
155 Puffin, 7 birds all together including one group of 4 birds together. Had one fly by with a Razorbill to the rear and a Common Guillemot up front, which was nice, as they used to say on the Fast Show). This species has never been proved to be breeding in the county as far as I recall but must surely do so on some of the offshore islands off Connemara??

Also had the adult Forster's Tern on the rocks off Nimmo's today. Now in summer plumage. The bill is still mostly black but with the basal fifth starting to turn red. Didn't have the camera on me unfortunately, only the phone. I'll try to upload pics later.

Dermot

Best of Rahasane on Easter Sunday-

Wheatear
Pintail
Blackwit
Greenshank
Golden Plover
Sparrowhawk
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Raven

Today at Salthill-

One Dolphin, close to shore for short period before moving out to the middle of the bay and towards Mutton Island. Species unknown as of yet (no photo records). The dolphin gave good views and then moved off with large amounts of tail slapping-perhaps a communication method? The scene was excellent with glass like seas, sunshine and black gullimots and Great Northerns providing the backdrop. :t:

A few shots taken over the week-end.

Got some video of the Mute Swan absolutely savaging the Whooper Swan which has a very badly damaged wing, video grab attached. (at Lydacan).

Attachments

• 20090411112141(2).jpg
    20090411112141(2).jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC01250 110409.jpg
    DSC01250 110409.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01240 110409.jpg
    DSC01240 110409.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01270 120409.jpg
    DSC01270 120409.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01281 120409.jpg
    DSC01281 120409.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Have written up a county report for 2008. If anyone is interested in receiving a copy just let me know. Any corrections/additions are welcome.

ATB,

Aonghus.

11 Little Terns off Inveran today all nicely perched together.The most I've ever seen together in the county.

158 Common Sandpiper, Tullyconnor, near Killary Harbour.

Had a flock of 15 Crossbills very near Ballynahinch Castle/House yesterday. They were too brief to check but it was probably a post breeding flock as its the most I've seen together out here. They should be finished breding now, typically very early breeders.
A few butterflies out in the last week - Brimstones, Green-winged White, Orange Tips, Peacocks and Speckaled Wood. Have heard of Holly Blue seen in county also.

Dermot

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back