• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bald Eagles Dueling (1 Viewer)

jekinca

Caught them over lunch...extremely cropped from handheld E-300, 50-200mm/EC-14. Guestimating distance was 400 - 450 yards over the Mississippi River, lotsa mirage and shimmer. Haven't had a chance to play with it, but thought it was cool behavior.

Attachments

• P2154122crop_edited-2.jpg
    P2154122crop_edited-2.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 287
jekinca said:
Caught them over lunch...extremely cropped from handheld E-300, 50-200mm/EC-14. Guestimating distance was 400 - 450 yards over the Mississippi River, lotsa mirage and shimmer. Haven't had a chance to play with it, but thought it was cool behavior.

Did you take that shot near Dubuque? I have shot a lot of Eagles in Dubuquqe, Cassville, and Bellevue. I have a houseboat at Frentress lake but live in Shirland.

At Cassville last week I saw two young Eagles going at it and an adult flew in and broke it up. I got some shots but they were on the other side of the river and I didn't keep them. I'll wait for a closer opportunity. That's half the fun.

Took these shots at Cassville last week.

Attachments

• Eagle-018.jpg
    Eagle-018.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Eagle-019.jpg
    Eagle-019.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Eagle-020.jpg
    Eagle-020.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 188
I took mine on River Drive in Moline, counted 13 eagles on the ice that day. I've managed to get some very good shots over the past couple of weeks. Just have not seen them being as aggressive as that one afternoon. We have a cottage further down river where several eagles are resident year around. Hoping to get some closeups of them when the weather get's better.

ccsial said:
Did you take that shot near Dubuque? I have shot a lot of Eagles in Dubuquqe, Cassville, and Bellevue. I have a houseboat at Frentress lake but live in Shirland.

At Cassville last week I saw two young Eagles going at it and an adult flew in and broke it up. I got some shots but they were on the other side of the river and I didn't keep them. I'll wait for a closer opportunity. That's half the fun.

Took these shots at Cassville last week.

Here I am sitting at work getting excited about a Common Buzzard in the tree outside at lunch time, and you lot get Eagles, life's not fair some days.

jekinca said:
I took mine on River Drive in Moline, counted 13 eagles on the ice that day. I've managed to get some very good shots over the past couple of weeks. Just have not seen them being as aggressive as that one afternoon. We have a cottage further down river where several eagles are resident year around. Hoping to get some closeups of them when the weather get's better.

I see a few Eagles in summer when beached with the houseboat but nothing like winter. The few times I have seen the Eagles dualing always seems to be on the far side. I have seen some great pictures of Eagles doing their mating gymnastics in the air. I'd love to wittness that.

I've seen the same behavior with juvie eagles. It was AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!
I was pulling in next to the nest then about 50 ft. above the eagles locked talons and did the spiral.

Alex

I'm happy to say that we see a lot of this in The Pacific Northwest. But I think it's more aptly descibed as "courtship" rather than "dueling". Then again, what's the difference, eh?.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back