• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.4 TC's (1 Viewer)

orbec

Hi

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 1.4 teleconverter & was wondering if any of you have compared the Sigma, Kenko Pro & the Canon versions from an optical point of view? or do you know of any review sites where this has been done?

Cheers...

Well optically Canon is said to be the best as you'd expect but the other two aren't far behind in that respect but your choice depends greatly on what lens you are using because the Canon TC won't fit most Canon lenses, it's only meant for use with the more expensive telephotos.

I currently have all three in my house and have tested them against eachother - not side by side testing with a fixed subject, just using them. To be honest there's very little difference in the IQ of them, thought the Canon does feel more robust and has weather sealing (which is good if your camera and lens do).

Thanks for your replies Guys

I've read quite a few threads on Fredmiranda since posting this question & the general thought seems to be very little to choose between optical quality & that the Kenko is more versatile but the Canon is more robust. I cant find much re the Sigma. as for weather sealing, my camera is sealed (1dMkII) but my lenses aren't (400 f5.6 & 100-400) so it kinda doesn't matter too much.

Cheers...

Actually those two lenses you've mentioned do have some weather sealing to them. If you can afford the Canon it's best to plump for that as you have a 1D body you may find it gives improved AF performance, don't quote me though.

I've got two of the three (I don't have the Sigma) and like Peter find little to no difference optically, but I wouldn't call the Kenko any less robust than the Canon - it's different in design, but there's absolutely no sense that it would break before the Canon.

In fact, being smaller, lighter, and less complicated, it's possibly more durable.

I have used both Sigma and Canon 1.4 TC and I'm happy with the results from both. I have only used Canon on Canon lenses and Sigma on Sigma lenses. A couple of things I've noticed. Even with a 1D body the Sigma will not AF at f8.0 without taping the three pins. A google search seems to point to the fact that sigma do something to disable the AF between camera and lens once f5.6 is exceeded with an extender.
On the canon 1.4 the side whcih interfaces with the lens has a much longer barrel type arrangeemnt that protrudes outwards (I'm sure it has a technical name) on the sigma it's much shorter. I wonder if you used the Cnon 1.4 on some sigma lenses if this may touch and damage the rear optics of the lens once fitted - probably not but alwys worth checking.
Andrew

I have had both Canon and Kenko Pro and optically there is not a lot in it IMO - I did some test once and found that the Canon was a little sharper in the centre while the Kenko was better on the corner. On the basis that I use a crop camera and often crop my images as well I decided to keep the Canon but the one thing I do miss is not being able to use the converter on my 100 macro :C. Value for money and versatility the Kenko is a very good buy IMO.

I tested pretty much every teleconverter made for Canon.
The Kenko seemed a little sharper then the Canon II I had and about the same as the Canon III in the center.
In the corners the Kenko and Canon II were about the same. The Canon III was better in the corners for both sharpness and, especially CA (blue, red fringe).

The Sigmas are more hit and miss. Some were as sharp, some less sharp than the Kenko.
Now I am using a Sigma 1.4x non-DG that is very sharp and auto focuses just fine on my 1D at f8.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back