• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member seeking advice (1 Viewer)

goonerz

Hi, Hello everyone,

I'am pretty new to the birding scene hence, joining this forum to get more knowledge, from more experienced people, . My local patch holds quite a lot of warblers, but could anyone recommend a decent guide on the subject, as i am afraid they don't stay around for very long. I live in Essex in England and often wonder if a rarity has been overlooked by my lack of experiance. Any Help!!!

Hi Goonerz,

Welcome to BirdForum!

I'd recommend the Collins Bird Guide, by far the best field guide available, and one of the most widely sold, too.

I wouldn't worry about overlooking rarities - they are, by definition, rare, so you're very unlikely to find one!

Michael

Goonerz,

On behalf of all the moderators and admin, welcome to Bird Forum.

I'm sure you won't regret joining and will soon become an expert. Just keep asking any questions you like and someone will be here to help you.

the site's very impressive,
It's the first online pine cone collection i have seen,
it will be great when you have finished it .
Keep up the good work ,it must have been very time consuming.
p.s
Beware of crossbills i hear they are partial to pinecones :)

This is one of those weird coincidences. I spent the whole of last evening trying to identify a large tree in my garden. It turned out to be an Arizona Cypress and the only website I could find with good enough pics to identify it was yours. Today you were the person to identify my Sparrowhawk.
Weird huh.
By the way - I'm in France now but I moved from Middlesbrough.
Cheers
Jen

The Collins is the best printed guide by far; but the CD-ROM Guide to British Birds is very interesting and useful in so many ways and will really help you get to grips with the songs and general 'jizz' of birds. These are a very important distinguishing factor you will eventually find yourself wanting to learn.

goonerz said:
the site's very impressive,
It's the first online pine cone collection i have seen,
it will be great when you have finished it .
Keep up the good work ,it must have been very time consuming.
p.s
Beware of crossbills i hear they are partial to pinecones :)

Thanks!!

Crossbills - actually found a potential new crossbill race/species, or at least a major range extension for Parrot Crossbill, in Bulgaria on a cone-collecting trip a couple of years ago. Feeding on Balkan endemic Bosnian Pine, similar to Parrot Crossbill, but with pink-purple males (the colour is probably just diet influenced though).
http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/bulgaria/bul1/bul-sept-01.htm

Michael

Really,
That's interesting,
I never knew that, amazing birds. About diet influencing certain birds,it must contribute to many sub-species in general, Good point Micheal. Cone collecting Trips must double with birdwatching,talk about two trips in one.
Have you ever been to the Greek island of Skiathos, it is practically a small island covered in pine forests, i don't know if you knew about it already, but can honestly say,some of the scenery was breathtaking overlooking isolated but but sandy beaches from cliffs and coves covered in pine. In fact there local wine is Retsina Beutari (unsure of spelling) it is matured in pine casks, it tastes awfully woody though which is not surprising.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back