• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC World Bird List v9.2 (1 Viewer)

Thanks Peter. Anyone else done badly out of this in percentage terms? The world gets a net gain of 21 species, I get a net gain of 4 :-C. At this rate I'm going to slip back below my hard-earned 50% in a couple of years, if I don't get a major foreign trip in (especially if Island Thrush gets split!).

Thanks Peter. Anyone else done badly out of this in percentage terms? The world gets a net gain of 21 species, I get a net gain of 4 :-C. At this rate I'm going to slip back below my hard-earned 50% in a couple of years, if I don't get a major foreign trip in (especially if Island Thrush gets split!).
No splits for me at all! The work is all concentrated (perhaps understandably) in the tropics, not much happening in Europe or North America. Bit odd that Common Gull hasn't been split yet though, that's getting well overdue.

No splits for me at all! The work is all concentrated (perhaps understandably) in the tropics, not much happening in Europe or North America. Bit odd that Common Gull hasn't been split yet though, that's getting well overdue.

I think the only change effecting the western Palaearctic is Barbary Falcon being lumped.

I'm up two, Indochinese Roller and Indochinese Blue Flycatcher.

What's Pantepui Thrush?

Got it, a split from Black-billed but as I haven't seen it anywhere else apart from the Tepui region, nothing changes but the name on my list.

Last edited:
I just lose Barbary falcon, which had gone from Clements anyway.

No sign at all of the supposed forthcoming convergence of IOC and Clements - still most definitely diverging. It will be interesting to see what the August Clements update covers.

Steve

Just a touch of whimsey for the transition :)

I can appreciate that!

Another whimsical suggestion may be to have the traditional list of bird orders accessible somewhere. Obviously it would need to be done in a way that doesn't invite confusion, but it might be interesting to see how things have changed.

When I try to view any of the Masterlists from the IOC website I just get a jumbled load of symbols. Anyone know what I can do to see the real thing?

Steve

When I try to view any of the Masterlists from the IOC website I just get a jumbled load of symbols. Anyone know what I can do to see the real thing?

Steve

No problem this morning, maybe its been corrected.

However when I randomly went to the BOW page for 'Turacos, bustards, cuckoos, mesites, sandgrouse' I found only 8 of the 23 Turacos listed and none of the other families.

I looked at a few other pages and they seemed ok but I haven't checked the whole thing!

Ian

I'm confused by the split, (by the Americans) of White-winged Scoter; will that filter down to the British List? I thought the Americans and the IOC were aligned.

The BOU already had White-winged and Velvet Scoter split in their last pre-IOC taxonomy. So undoubtedly they will follow the IOC in this decision. They typically publish the British List updates in October, so you might have to wait until then.

It will be incorporated 3 days ago. :)

https://blog.scythebill.com/2019/06/scythebill-14.6.0.html

I have five, per Splits and Lumps report:

African Palm Swift (C. parvus) is now Malagasy Palm Swift (Cypsiurus gracilis) and African Palm Swift (C.parvus)
Andean Hillstar (O. estella) is now Andean Hillstar (Oreotrochilus estella) and Green-headed Hillstar (O.stolzmanni)
Gull-billed Tern (G. nilotica) is now Australian Tern (Gelochelidon macrotarsa) and Gull-billed Tern (G.nilotica)
Highland Elaenia (E. obscura) is now Small-headed Elaenia (Elaenia sordida) and Highland Elaenia (E.obscura)
Black-billed Thrush (T. ignobilis) is now Pantepui Thrush (Turdus murinus) and Black-billed Thrush (T.ignobilis)

It will be incorporated 3 days ago. :)

https://blog.scythebill.com/2019/06/scythebill-14.6.0.html

I have five, per Splits and Lumps report:

African Palm Swift (C. parvus) is now Malagasy Palm Swift (Cypsiurus gracilis) and African Palm Swift (C.parvus)
Andean Hillstar (O. estella) is now Andean Hillstar (Oreotrochilus estella) and Green-headed Hillstar (O.stolzmanni)
Gull-billed Tern (G. nilotica) is now Australian Tern (Gelochelidon macrotarsa) and Gull-billed Tern (G.nilotica)
Highland Elaenia (E. obscura) is now Small-headed Elaenia (Elaenia sordida) and Highland Elaenia (E.obscura)
Black-billed Thrush (T. ignobilis) is now Pantepui Thrush (Turdus murinus) and Black-billed Thrush (T.ignobilis)

Excellent, many thanks Adam.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back