• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Places to see Cliff Nesting Sea Birds (1 Viewer)

mattwhite

Hi

Could anyone tell me the nearest place to me (Bishop Auckland,County Durham) where I can see cliff nesting seabirds?

Matt

Hi
Could anyone tell me the nearest place to me (Bishop Auckland,County Durham) where I can see cliff nesting seabirds?
Matt

The only species nesting on the Durham coastal cliffs are Kittiwake, Razorbill, Fulmar and Cormorant (as well as the usual other gull species).
Kittiwake - several colonies including Marsden, Seaham harbour and Hartlepool Headland.
Fulmar - scattered pairs along the coast but most common at Marsden.
Razorbill and Cormorant - only nest at Marsden.
Guillemot and Shag are sometimes seen prospecting at Marsden but don't currently breed.

If you want to see nesting Gannet, Shag, Puffin, Guillemot etc, you'll need to go to the Yorkshire coast or up to Northumberland. If you can't travel far, then Marsden is a great experience with very close views.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back