• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US visitor to Outer Hebrides and Wester Ross/Sutherland bird guides (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

Hi,

I will be doing a bicycle tour through the Outer Hebrides, over to Ullapool and up and around to Scrabster and the Orkneys. I won't have a scope, only a pair of 8x32s.

Any recommendations of particularly places to check out, and also, what is the best UK bird guide, hopefully not huge and weighty (something for the handlebar bag).

Thanks!

Hi b-lilja

What a wonderful trip that will be. For information, start off with Opus, then click on the links for the various parts of Scotland you're going to; which would be "North", "Outer Hebrides" and "Orkneys".

The recommended bird book is the Collins Field Guide. Though if space/weight is an issue if you're cycling the Birdwatchers Pocket Guide ISBN 1-85732-804-3 is excellent. Also try and get Gordon Hamlet's "Where to Watch Birds in Scotland" (though you may need to send him a PM - he's a BF member - to get a copy now) - doesn't hurt to ask, does it ;)

Oh and do let us know what time of year it will be.

You'll have a wonderful time.

D

Hi Delia,

I will be there the last week of May and the first week of June.

Thanks for the info on the Collins Guide. I do want a full size guide so that helps.

Hi Delia,

I will be there the last week of May and the first week of June.

Thanks for the info on the Collins Guide. I do want a full size guide so that helps.

Hi b-lilja

I second Delia's comments about the Collins Bird Guide 2nd edition - it's the best field guide on the planet! However, it does cover all of Europe, If you want something more specific, have a look at the RSPB Handbook of Scottish Birds (Holden and Housden, published by Helm)

As Delia also alluded to, my book could have been written for people like you. It consists of a series of tours through the Scottish Highlands pointing out all the best birding places en route (mainland only).

It includes all the areas you will want to visit - Inverpolly, Handa, Sutherland and Caithness.

If you are intersted send me a pm and I will send you further details, a sample chapter and comments from various satisfied customers.

HTH

Gordon

I see here I have a 1998 edition of the Collins Guide for Britain and Europe. It is listed as completely revised and updated - "New Edition" on the spine - is this the latest edition?

Also, is the Princeton Guide appreciated? I see many positive reviews on Amazon.

I see here I have a 1998 edition of the Collins Guide for Britain and Europe. It is listed as completely revised and updated - "New Edition" on the spine - is this the latest edition?

Also, is the Princeton Guide appreciated? I see many positive reviews on Amazon.

No, this is the latest edition, which was published in March 2010.

Sorry, can't help with the Princeton Guide, I don't know it.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back