• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter birding in Kingussie area (1 Viewer)

David Featherbe

I am planning a short visit to the Kingussie area over the coming Christmas period with the intention of catching up on a few local gems. I hope to be able to add ptarmigan and crested tit to my UK list, with snow buntings in the snow a treat, however, Scottish crossbill would be rather nice as it would be a lifer!
Any suggestions?

David,
On behalf of all of the Moderators and Admin, welcome to BirdForum. I don't know my way around that part of Scotland but there will be members who can give you all the information you need. I know from January visits to the north coast of Scotland that there will only be about 6 hours of daylight but I am sure you will have a good time. I look forward to more posts from you and an update on what you found on your holiday.

Oh yes ... Kingussie ... now the green eyed monster is rising again ;-)))

Its been many, many years since I was there and I wasn't a birder then but you have brought back many fond memories. Hope you have a great time up there.

Ron

Hi David,

Crestie Tits in any area of mature pines from Kingussie down to Aviemore/Carrbridge/Grantown.

Crossbills - you're more likely to get Parrot Crossbills than Scottish in the old native pinewoods. Whether there's any difference between the two, is another matter (personally, I treat Scottish as just a race of Parrot)

Otherwise, watch out you don't get snowed in and stuck for a week!

Michael

Not sure if it helps but we've had Crossbills in April 2002 at Loch an Eilean near Aviemore and in the woods around Loch Garten. The trees are pretty tall though. Certainly they had large bills but as to whether Scottish ones or not, I don't know, though I counted them as such ;) There were quite a few two barred ones reported that year too not to mention large flocks of Waxwing.

I've been birding in the Kingussie area quite a few times, although mostly in the summer. I did visit once in late March though so thought I might be able to offer a few tips.

A good walk you can do from the town is up into the Monadhliath Mountains. If you go north out of the town along a gravel track alongside a burn (called Allt Mor) then this eventually leads up into some pretty good moorland and eventually to two mountains called Beinn Bhreac and Carn an Fhreiceadain. In the winter there probably won't be a great diversity of birds about but the moorland is very good for Red Grouse (it's obviously a big place for shooting) and I have seen all the raptors you would expect in the area (though not on every visit). It's also the best area I've ever been for Mountain Hares which will be lovely and white. There are certainly Ptarmigan on the tops in reasonable numbers and Dippers along the Burn. The walk is very easy and clear unless the weather's bad. I think the grouse shooting season should also be over by mid-winter so there shouldn't be any access restrictions.

The woodland around the golf course at Kingussie is good for Black Grouse and a dawn or dusk visit might well be productive. There are certainly Crossbills of one sort or another in the area (and you may well see them in the town), although whether you ID them as 'Scottish' is at your discretion. I think there are also Crested Tits nearby, although there's not too much really good native pine forest around Kingussie itself. You'll find better forest around Loch an Eilein, Loch Garten etc. The only place I've ever seen Capercaillie is in the forest around Grantown-on-Spey golf course, and even if you don't get Capers this is another good and easily worked bit of pine forest. As for Snow Buntings I'm not sure but I think a visit to the ski lift area on Cairngorm could be productive.

Finally, you'll also be very near the Insh Marshes reserve where there should be plenty of wildfowl (although not always easy to see) and raptors (a good Hen Harrier roost I think I've read, though not seen it myself). Hope you have an enjoyable visit.

Crossbills of any description are few and far between at the moment. Anagach woods around Grantown seem the best bet with a few small groups of "largish" billed birds about at the present. Also good for Caper here too.
If there is snow on the tops then the ski area car park is always a good bet for Snow Buntings. I wouldn't recommend wandering around Cairngorm looking for Ptarmigan in winter if the weather isn't good unless you're an experienced hillwalker. Apparently though they can often be seen from the comfort of the new summit cafe via the funicular.
Don't forget the light starts to go by around 3pm in December and sunrise is around 9am!!!!!

JP

I've often had ptarmigan from the Lecht ski centre before now, though in theory it is too low for them (head east through Tomintoul on the A939. Failing that, you can continue to the Glen Shee ski centre south of Braemar where birds often come down towards car park level.

Be warned though, these roads are liable to be closed if there is a significant amount of snow. Probably only worth doing this trip as a return journey south and even then, only if you **know** the roads are open.

Gordon

spent many years birding in the highlands, and skiing too!, the above three posts are spot on, especially Insh marshes in December.
The road from carbridge over to the Lecht ski area will give you ample opportunities to see most of what your after, but be warned, its pretty scarey when theres snow on the road!
Enjoy
Ian

Unless anyone has up to date knowledge to contradict me, the Glenshee area is not so reliable anymore for Ptarmigan...i`ve not bothered with it this year, but came up blank on a number of visits in 2001 & 2002

There's an Immature White-Tailed Eagle hanging around the Kingussie area at the moment, seems quite settled, you might get lucky if it's still about.

JP

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back