• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New hummingbird feeder webcam in Ecuador (1 Viewer)

The beasties are coatis!

By looking at the hummer guide on the site, I've managed to identify;
Green thornbill.... wee ones with a white stripe on the rump
Long-billed starthroat.... bigger..
..and I think the ones with rufous tails are Rufous-tailed hummingbirds (doh!)

But there's several distinctive ones that aren't in the guide. The big ones with a white nape/underparts/thighs... and we dark Blue/purple ones with glitering green throats

I'm assuming the yellow birds with the stripey heads are Bananaquit, and the green/blue birds with black heads are some kind of Honeycreeper.

I once saw a few toucans... any ideas which species they could be?

In ten mins or so tonight I managed
Blue gray Tanager, Rufous-tailed Hummer, Green Thorntail (female) and lots of Andean Emeralds
Lots more I couldn't sort out.
Superb cam and top of my favourites list at the moment.

Really good cause too and I have donated £25 tonight as a result so great idea.

Cheers
Brian

Just had a coati now too - superb

All the hummers stayed away until the Coati was finished feeding and returned immediately after it left!

Great place for a webcam that Buenaventura; one of the best birding sites in Ecuador in my opinion. Loads of amazing birding in Ecuador but this place is often active all day long, has many fancy bird species of many families, is good for raptors, an endemic Parakeet and other regional endemics. Also easily accessible.

But there's several distinctive ones that aren't in the guide. The big ones with a white nape/underparts/thighs... and we dark Blue/purple ones with glitering green throats

White-necked Jacobin

http://www.birdsasart.com/n206.htm

and a Woodnymph (Crowned? Don't recall which one you get round there.)

http://www.birdsasart.com/bn278.htm

I've seen both zip in and out a couple of times in the past few minutes. For some unaccountable reason both are missing from their Virtual Hummingbird Guide.

James

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back