• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dumfries and Galloway (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
I've never been there, and I am wondering if mid-June would be a good time to go? (Probably can't get away before then).

All comments welcome - thanks.

I've not spent time there, but I'm told its lovely and wild.

Not many eagles in the area though. If that is any interest. Should be plenty of othe wildlife and good scenery.

It's on my list of places to go. Are you going to write up a report of your trip?

I've never done it in the Summer, Elizabeth - winter being the best/traditional time to visit. But it's certainly a beautiful area.

Well worth a visit at that time Elizabeth. There are numerous sites worth visiting. The local SOC group have in association with the RSPB & other agencies produced a free booklet which list over 40(+??) sites in the region which are worth visiting with instructions on access,etc. If you write to the RSPB reserve at Mersehead enclosing a large SAE I'm sure they would send you a copy. Failing that send me a PM with your address & I'll send one down.
Best wishes,
Steve

Hi Elizabeth,
In summer the area is is beautiful.I've mentioned the guides available in another thread the other day.The woods of cree near Newton Stewart is great for breeding passerines.The mull of galloway is a good place for the seabird colonies ,peregrine and there's often puffin in the sea.Forest enterprise have walks to see nightjar.There are lots of things to visit apart from birding.Also,up the road a bit at New Lanark (beside Lanark) there is the scottish wildlife trust reserve where breeding peregines are watched 24/7 and are only c.150feet away!

Certainly a marvellous scenic area. I have stayed in New Galloway, Newton Sewart and Dalmellington in the past. Loads of locations to visit. Clatteringshaws Loch on the A172 between New Galloway and Newton Stewart I recall has a visitors centre with details of forest drives and local wildlife and of course walks. Loch Ken and Loch Doon are easily accessible. I still have fond childhood memories of staying at Rockcliffe or Kipford where there was an island reachable by a causeway at low tise. It was a haven for birds.

PaulAshton said:
I've not spent time there, but I'm told its lovely and wild.

Not many eagles in the area though. If that is any interest. Should be plenty of othe wildlife and good scenery.

It's on my list of places to go. Are you going to write up a report of your trip?

Not sure about a write up, I don't know many birds other than ordinary garden ones. I'll have to do an awful lot of learning before I go, or try to eavesdrop on some knowledgeable birders.

VERY GOOD time & place for Barn Owls.....

We allways try a January visit to that area, huge variety of habitats & birds.
Red Kite, G.Eagle, Hen Harrier, R.LPartridge, Peregrine, White front Geese etc etc

S

I know Clatteringshaws is good for a couple of rare dragonflies - Highland Darter and Azure Hawker, I think.

What a coincidence! I have been trying to sort out the accommodation for the Minsmere trip and Keith came in and said that he thinks we ought to go to Dumfries and Galloway for a weekend break, maybe at the end of January!

If we go I'll let you know how we get on.

Hi Diane,
If you are going to go to Dunmfries and Galloway, I could recommend a place to stay. We were there last year and going again in Feb. Huge, home cooked breakfasts, good evening meals using organic meats from local suppliers etc, good beer, B :) run by friendly people. Don't know if I should mention the name here so, check out the trip report from last year at:- http://www.homepages.mcb.net/wormwell/Solway Index.htm

Have a good time!

Keren

Kiki said:
Hi Diane,
If you are going to go to Dunmfries and Galloway, I could recommend a place to stay. We were there last year and going again in Feb. Huge, home cooked breakfasts, good evening meals using organic meats from local suppliers etc, good beer, B :) run by friendly people. Don't know if I should mention the name here so, check out the trip report from last year at:- http://www.homepages.mcb.net/wormwell/Solway Index.htm

Have a good time!

Keren

Isn't it good to see communication between husband and wife! I've just done all that in a Private Message to Diane, Keren!

Thanks Kiki and CJ - don't fall out now!

Thanks also mcdowella for the link to the bookshop, although once I get in there I may not get much birding done!

digi-birder said:

Thanks also mcdowella for the link to the bookshop, although once I get in there I may not get much birding done!

Too late Diane! But they tell me my wounds should be healed enough to allow me back out in public in a month or so......

digi-birder said:

You should consider Hay-on-Wye in Wales for books. 35 second hand bookshops and the food in the Old Black Lion is excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back