• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Trip to the Western Isle (1 Viewer)

alle

I am planning a Birding Trip to the Western Isle (Harris, North Uist, Benbecula),in May 2004 – can anyone supply details, trip report (website links), accommodation recommendations and/or comments. Never been before, but looking forward to it already!

Thanks

John

Its ages since I've been, but am happy to dig out my info. I camped... on the football pitch at Balranald, N.Uist

Welcome to BF by the way

John,

On behalf of admin and all the moderators, welcome to Bird Forum. I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you here and we look forward to hearing about your trip.

Corncrakes are quite widespread but for the best view go to the small field next to the toilet block at Balranad just after dawn and they will be parading themselves!

alle said:
I am planning a Birding Trip to the Western Isle (Harris, North Uist, Benbecula),in May 2004 – can anyone supply details, trip report (website links), accommodation recommendations and/or comments. Never been before, but looking forward to it already!

Thanks

John

Hi John
if you are planning a trip to the Western Isles try and take in Barra. A group of birders have gone out there the last two Autumns (myself included for the innaugral trip) and found some excellent birds such as: Arctic wblr, Common Rosefinch, Blyths Reed Wblr, Citrine Wag, Woodchat Shrike, Red Eyed Vireo, Paddyfield Wblr, Redhead - quality migrants on anybodys list! also should be Corncrakes as well as resident Gol eagles and the ferry on the way out to barra is good for birds too incuding Sea Eagles at the sound of Mull.
The beauty about Barra is its size- its very small with lots of little plantations perfect for passing migrants. Would be interesting to see what turns up there in spring migration. There are no resident birders so the chance of finding your own stuff is high and the locals are very accomodating.

anyway whatever you do enjoy the trip !

Brendan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back