• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wintering hummingbird update (1 Viewer)

Must be getting time for her to head off back out west fairly soon . . . don't be surprised when one day she's gone!

Anyone know when Rufous Hummers usually migrate north from Mexico?

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Must be getting time for her to head off back out west fairly soon . . . don't be surprised when one day she's gone!

Anyone know when Rufous Hummers usually migrate north from Mexico?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes, I expect that will happen soon. It is difficult to image that small a bird travelling over 3000 kilometers to get to the west coast.

The Rufous migration has begun:

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 3mar04c.jpg
    3mar04c.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 180
Bob, this latest pic is delightful! I know how much pleasure I've gotten from seeing your reports and photos of her -- you must be thrilled!

She's just full of personality, isn't she?

I'm starting to dread the day when you'll find a little note hanging from the perch:

"Thanks, Bob, for a great winter. Heading west. Little Girl"

But what wonderful memories you'll have!

Hi Bob,
I'm located near Houston, Texas and I've had several Rufouses overwinter in my yard in the last 4 years. 2 years ago a humbander came in March (02) to band a female Rufous. He told me she was still in molt, but would probably leave in about 2 weeks. He was right. She returned the following Oct., was caught and checked for her band # and she stayed all winter, leaving the first week of April (03). At the end of July a banded female Rufous turned up, but unfortunately the bander could never trap her to confirm she was the same one. I think she was, as she had the same shaped gorget.

A couple of weeks later another female Rufous appeared - I nicknamed her Guardian Angel as she would sit on the top of a feeder to guard it. Her photo is my avatar! Anyway she was caught and banded in January, about 7 weeks ago but the original one had disappeared. I haven't seen Angel for a few days, so she may have left, but there are a couple of male Rufouses around now. They are probably passing through on their way west. We've had a very mild winter and most of my hummingbird plants are blooming well, so my yard is a good R & R stop for them.

If you go to my webpage - URL below my signature, you can go to the hummingbird pages and see some banding sessions and photos of my wintering Rufouses.

Last edited:
Hi Beverly and HelenB,

I am going to miss her for sure!! She has taught me a great deal about photography. 90% of the credit goes to my wife Jo;she;s up before sunrise to make the new batch of Nektar Plus, and the sugar water solution for the day.She is a very curious bird:

http://home.insightbb.com/~bstaib1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-668109.html

Helen,what a great site you have!!! Very interesting seeing those birds being banded. Maybe if our Rufous comes back I can convince my SO to let our guest be banded. Is it always female Rufouses who stay out over winter? Cheers,bob

bobky said:
Helen,what a great site you have!!! Very interesting seeing those birds being banded. Maybe if our Rufous comes back I can convince my SO to let our guest be banded. Is it always female Rufouses who stay out over winter? Cheers,bob

Bob - the first wintering Rufous I ever had 4 years ago, was an immature male, and he had molted into his adult plumage by the time he left me. Since then it's been the females which have stayed for the whole winter. The males seem to only stay for a few days. Perhaps the females tell them to go & find their own bit of real estate!!

Bob, I"d never gone all the way through your slide show before -- what a wonderful treasury of photos!

It has been really special seeing the pictures of this little charmer. Thank you so much for sharing her with the rest of us!

Ditto - won't you be sorry to see her leave? Which photo is your favorite Bob - I think I like the full front one - even though it doesn't show her long beak and sometimes tongue - it's more of an attitude shot!! Thanks again for brightening up a gloomy winter!

Thanks Beverly and amasara,

Glad you liked the slide show. I agree that the best may be that head- on shot,but I like a couple of the others too.

I'm gonna miss her for sure. Cheers,bob

Beverlybaynes said:
And she looks like she's dressed up in all her springtime finery!

She's such a beautiful little girl! I wish her well!

Thanks Beverly,

I wish her well too;Gonna miss her. Regards,bob

Attachments

• 21mar04c1n.jpg
    21mar04c1n.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 113
Michael Frankis said:
Still there?!?

Better tell her to hurry up and get a move on!

Will she bring the kidz back next winter, I wonder . . .

Michael

Yes, still here;can you believe it? Hopefully she will move on soon and find another Rufous mate, or there won't be any kidz to bring back next winter....

Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 22mar04drn.jpg
    22mar04drn.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 111
  • 23mar04c1n.jpg
    23mar04c1n.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 102
Today I've had several hummers at my feeders.
1. Female Black-chinned that has been around for about 3 weeks.
2. Male Rufous looking very dapper in his bright plumage.
3. Male Ruby-throat battling with #2 for the feeders. He's been here about 2 weeks.
4. Female Rufous, but don't think it's one of mine. Guess they're on the move now.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back