• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2006 Ruby-throated Migration Map (1 Viewer)

Yes, thanks for posting this! I looked at last year map, and wrote myself a reminder to take out a first feeder in mid-March. I can't wait to see some of these little guys again. I have been missing them dearly.

I'm so excited!! I can't wait till I see them popping up right below West Va.. and then in my state at my window!! Can't wait! Can't wait! LOL.....

I was just looking back through the years of the hummers migrating. It seems this year from March 1-15, the hummers are migrating north faster.

Thanks!! We've bookmarked these websites. Only 2 months until we see our first Hummer. Our hummer buffet will be set in welcome . Fortunately, lots of in-migration in the meantime. Yesterday a flock of about 500 mountain bluebirds lit up the trees like Christmas lights. I don't think there could be a 'bluer blue'.

Yes! They are right on time!

I set up a feeder yesterday, and saw my first hummer today. I watched him checking a couple places where I had feeders last year, and it took him no time to find the one feeder that is up. He then went hovering above the place where we have a large turk's caps bush (but these are just beginning to regrow...), and went to perch on the blackgum tree that our RBs like so much.

That made my day. I can't seem to stop smiling.... |=)| |=)| |=)|

Still no hummers that I have seen in Central West Va. :-C

I keep having dreams that I am seeing them at my window feeder. I get all excited thinking I can report them to the migration map thingy! LOL... Then I wake up.

baccalynnwv said:
Still no hummers that I have seen in Central West Va. :-C

I keep having dreams that I am seeing them at my window feeder. I get all excited thinking I can report them to the migration map thingy! LOL... Then I wake up.

You should have them assuming your neighbors haven't stolen them with their own feeders ;)

I got my first one over a week ago and now there are several around my feeders here in Raleigh, NC.

Hummers here early

We are in northwest Georgia in the US and I typically don't put out my feeders until around the first of May, but this year, I got my new window feeder up on April 8th and on the evening of the 11th, saw this little guy visiting! I am so glad they are back early and we'll have longer to enjoy them.

Attachments

• IMG_208116.jpg
    IMG_208116.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 212
Migration miracle

Hi - was watching a documentary (David Attenborough's Life of Birds) which had a little segment on Ruby Throated's migration across the Gulf of Mexico.

The trip is at the very limits of the tiny bird's endurance - only when conditions are perfect can they make it across. The slightest head- or crosswind and it's curtains. They must have astonishing timing to start the trip at just the right moment.

Andrew

First Ruby-throated of the year spotted here in Michigans N/W lower peninsula MAY 2nd.Had to hurry like the dickens to get the feeders setup.

Phil

Great!

Starzz said:
I seen a male ruby throated hummer tonight! WOOHOO!! :bounce:

Got your feeder ready? They've had to cross some dry country to get there.
I have never had to refill feeders so fast in previous migrations. Looks like I'll have at least 2 nests close by.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back