• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Monopod? (1 Viewer)

IVAN P

Hi,can anyone recommend a really good monopod to use with a sigma 300/2.8 and on odd occasions the sigma 500/4.5?
Thanks. IVAN

I have a Manfrotto 685B, which must be unique in that it's an upside down construction - the thickest tube is at the foot and the thinnest at the head.
When you tread on the hinged pedal you just pull the monopod out to the required height (sufficient for my 190cm) and it locks automatically. There is a hand grip with safety release to collapse the monopod.
The Manfrotto 234(RC) head, which has just a tilt function is the ideal accompaniment for any monopod.
Otherwise look at Gitzo monopods but forget carbon fibre. You pay an enormous premium for a minimal weight saving.

John

I use a Manfrotto 679B with a 486 ball head with my Sigma 500 f4.5 (though I prefer to use my tripod). I would not recommend the 234 tilt head as it really is not up to the job of hold the weight of your lens, though it is excellent with smaller set ups.

I use a Manfrotto 679B with a 486 ball head with my Sigma 500 f4.5 (though I prefer to use my tripod). I would not recommend the 234 tilt head as it really is not up to the job of hold the weight of your lens, though it is excellent with smaller set ups.

I don't use a monopod for photography but can't see the problem with the 234 even if Manfrotto quote a maximum weight of 2,5kg. It's being used as a support and not to hold the weight. With a monopod anything more than a tilt function is going to be a handicap. A ball head has three degrees of freedom. Panning is superfluous and lateral tilt could be a pain in the neck.

John

I use the Manfrotto 685B with and without the 234RC head. I've used the monopod successfully with the Canon 300 F4, 300 F2.8 and Sigma 500/4.5.

I think the 234RC does struggle a little with the big lenses. I generally prefer to attach the 500 straight onto the monopod. It feels much more solid and avoids the occasional slippage of the tilt mechanism. This has the downside that there is no quick release. What I would really like is a good quick release adaptor without any pan or tilt - just mounting straight onto the monopod. If anyone knows of a model they can recommend, I'd be grateful (Otherwise, one of these days, I'm going to have someones eye out with the monopod when something interesting flies overhead!)

Generally, I dont feel I need a tilt head on a monopod - you just tilt the monopod and especially with a 685B where its so easy to adjust the length as you tilt the 'pod.

The one time I do need a tilt head is if I sit down at ground level. Then you have to angle the monopod quite sharply to keep it at eye level and you need to tilt the head down accordingly.

I generally prefer to attach the 500 straight onto the monopod. It feels much more solid and avoids the occasional slippage of the tilt mechanism. This has the downside that there is no quick release. What I would really like is a good quick release adaptor without any pan or tilt - just mounting straight onto the monopod.

There are a number of quick release adaptors (Manfrotto make at least six of them), the best bet is to find one that works with the same QR plates as your tripod head. If you're using a Manfrotto head let me know which it is and I'll find the details of the adaptor you need.

What I would really like is a good quick release adaptor without any pan or tilt - just mounting straight onto the monopod. If anyone knows of a model they can recommend, I'd be grateful
Manfrotto makes a quick release adapter which gives you the RC2 quick-release system on any 3/8 or 1/4 inch screw - the 3299 adapter. See it here:

http://www.adorama.com/BG3299.html
I don't know the British equivalent number. Also, I don't see it on the Manfrotto website, so perhaps they have discontinued it (or more likely might be redesigning it; I think they are changing their safety lock system some). But anyway, I have one and it would be PERFECT for what you want. I'm sure you can still find them around.

I just noticed that a customer review on Adorama says that he is unable to use any of his other 3157 plates with this adapter. This is not true, at least with mine. It accepts and uses any 3157N plate (as far as I know, they are all identical!), which of course is the whole point.

Finally, I agree with John that a ball head on a monopod is overkill and actually too flexible. I should think that the 234 head would work pretty well with even a fairly large lens. I have a 234RC2 (mounted on a 680) and it seems pretty robust.

Last edited:
I think the one you're referring to is sold as the MN323 in the UK. Just bought a new one, £22.95 with a 200 PL-14 plate included from Warehouse Express (link at top of this page). I think they're listed under Tripods-Manfrotto-Accessories in the photography section (not under Bins and Scopes).

Last edited:
Finally, I agree with John that a ball head on a monopod is overkill and actually too flexible. I should think that the 234 head would work pretty well with even a fairly large lens. I have a 234RC2 (mounted on a 680) and it seems pretty robust.

It might sound like overkill but it is more than capable of holding my gear. I have seen the 234 and there is no way I'd risk putting a big lens on it (my set up weighs ~1.5kg more that the head is supposed to take). I like the idea of a tilt head, but would only use one if it was bigger and tougher than the 234.

I use the 680 pod with the 234RC2 head for my 400mm f5.6 + tc and it is a great combo but of course the two lens that Ivan has are both bigger and heavier than my lens. The max load on the 234 head is 2.5kg so this should give an indication of whether it is suitable.

There are a number of quick release adaptors (Manfrotto make at least six of them), the best bet is to find one that works with the same QR plates as your tripod head. If you're using a Manfrotto head let me know which it is and I'll find the details of the adaptor you need.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I use a 701RC2 video head and a 393 gimbal head. So I suspect the MN323 would be great for the smaller lenses. But for the 500mm I'd prefer something chunkier. Looking at the Warehouse Express page, I was wondering about the MN357 - looks suspiciously like the quick release adaptor on the 393, so that would be ideal.

And apologies for having hijacked the thread with my own question...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I use a 701RC2 video head and a 393 gimbal head. So I suspect the MN323 would be great for the smaller lenses. But for the 500mm I'd prefer something chunkier. Looking at the Warehouse Express page, I was wondering about the MN357 - looks suspiciously like the quick release adaptor on the 393, so that would be ideal.

Indeed the MN357 is the adaptor that uses the same quick release plate as the 393 head, so will be the one you need.

Dear Ivan,

You might want to look at the Monostat line of monopods:
http://www.monostat.com/E/index.php

I am unfamiliar with your lenses but I have one of the metal models for use with a 12x50 binocular, which I use with a tilt head. The Monostats are not available in the USA, but you live in the UK.

Happy birdwatching,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back