• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

It really was magic... I'd never been on such a trip as this before - guess they're not all quite like this LOL

Thanks 3IB.

I love your whale images, Delia. I’ve been on one excursion such as this, think I managed all of one photo!

Thank you so much Chris and Lisa, I'm pleased you liked those whale pictures so much.

Just a few miscellaneous images to finish off

1: Returning to port, these are obviously remnants of what would have been a coastal mangrove swamp, nearly all of it has disappeared along the whole length of the coastline here

2: An overview of the sandbar, mostly Little Black Cormorants, but a variety of other species too, including Australasian Pied, probably some Little Pied, Great Crested Terns and Silver Gulls.

3: A Silver Gull in flight

4: There were helicopter rides available with a pretty constant stream of them in and out. No thanks... a lot of money and think I got more from the boat trip LOL

5: One of the crew, nicknamed Pineapple (for fairly obvious reasons LOL). A very pleasant and helpful guy.

One thing I took away from that trip.... "Try and pick up 3 pieces of litter every day. We can make a difference."

Attachments

• BF Mangroves Cleveland, thread.jpg
    BF Mangroves Cleveland, thread.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 107
  • BF Sandbar city thread.jpg
    BF Sandbar city thread.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 111
  • BF Silver Gull 1 Flight thread.jpg
    BF Silver Gull 1 Flight thread.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 103
  • BF Helicopter thread.jpg
    BF Helicopter thread.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 99
  • BF Mr Pineapple head thread.jpg
    BF Mr Pineapple head thread.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 106
Thanks Delia for all the whale shots, you certainly did yourself proud! I wonder how many Cormorants etc were on that sandbar.......very exciting for you and for us as you share your images.....many thanks!
Nora

Promenade

After a very nice lunch at the cafe where we took the boat trip. We then drove further along the sea front to see what might be about.

Very little that I could get a picture of, apart from a Masked Lapwing (it was rather hot now, being mid-day).

Back near the entrance to the port, there's a park called Federation Walk Coastal Reserve. We parked in there and wandered around, not finding what Hans was looking for at first, but I did see a Noisy Friarbird in a tree, then a Welcome Swallow.

Finally Hans tracked down what we were looking for, a Bush Stone-Curlew (or Bush Thick-knee if you prefer).

Also seen / heard in the area were House Sparrow, Feral Pigeon, Magpie-Lark, Brahminny Kite and Striated Heron. Also Osprey high on a pole erected for a nest. There seem to be a lot of these out there.

Attachments

• BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 99
  • BF Noisy Friarbird thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Friarbird thread.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 95
  • BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 107
  • BF Bush Stone-Curlew thread.jpg
    BF Bush Stone-Curlew thread.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 102
  • BF Bush Stone-Curlew 1 thread.jpg
    BF Bush Stone-Curlew 1 thread.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 110
Thanks Delia for all the whale shots, you certainly did yourself proud! I wonder how many Cormorants etc were on that sandbar.......very exciting for you and for us as you share your images.....many thanks!
Nora

Many thanks Nora.

You know, I've now idea... needs someone better than me to count them LOL

Loads!!!!;)

Oxenford Weir

From the coast we then moved inland to visit Oxenford Weir. Rather a nice place with lots to see.

We parked ourselves on some large rocks down near the water to get our bearings (well me anyway - Hans and Judy had been before) and to await events. As my descriptions could sound a bit complicated, I've started with an overall picture of the site. You can't see those rocks, as they're below and to the right of that bench seat.

The weir itself is the line of rocks to the left. You can just see the river in the background, which does a big sweep round to come through the weir, then off to the sea I presume.

On the rocks that formed part of the weir was a rock-climbing Dusky Moorhen, then the other side of the weir both Great and Little Egrets standing together.

Pacific Black Duck and Eurasian Coot in the water.

Attachments

• BF Oxenford Weir thread.jpg
    BF Oxenford Weir thread.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 106
  • BF Dusky Moorhen thread.jpg
    BF Dusky Moorhen thread.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 110
  • BF Great Egret, Little Egret thread.jpg
    BF Great Egret, Little Egret thread.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 100
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 104
  • BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 97
We watched as a few Sulphur-crested Cockatoos flew into some trees on the far side of the river - I managed to get a poor image of one of them.

An Osprey was sitting on a pylon while two Brahminy Kites displayed overhead.

I went back up to the car with Judy to fetch some drinks down and there on an overhead wire was a Laughing Kookaburra.

To finish off this set of 5, a Little Black Cormorant swam (and dived) in front of the weir.

Attachments

• BF Sulphur-crested Cockatoo thread.jpg
    BF Sulphur-crested Cockatoo thread.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 108
  • BF Eastern Osprey thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Osprey thread.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 106
  • BF Brahminy Kite flight thread.jpg
    BF Brahminy Kite flight thread.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 106
  • BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 113
  • BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 104
I walked along the wall of the weir, in order to get closer shots of a Striated Heron, but got side-tracked when a call from Judy alerted me to a flock of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins which had flown into a tree. A bit distant, but you can see what they are.

I've given you two pictures of them; one to show you the size of the flock and the other a cropped close-up view of them.

After that I turned my attention back to the heron. Amazed at how small they are, only about the size of a Common Wood Pigeon would you believe!!! I'd no idea. He wasn't at all concerned about my presence on the wall.

Returning to my rock seat, an Australian Pelican then came paddling along and found himself in a patch of water weeds that had come from the other side of the wall.

Sharp-eyed Judy noticed something moving in the weir wall, which turned out to be a rather handsome Water Dragon in breeding dress. I tried to get closer but then couldn't find the rocks he was located at.

Attachments

• BF Chestnut-breasted Mannikin flock thread.jpg
    BF Chestnut-breasted Mannikin flock thread.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 108
  • BF Chestnut-breasted Mannikin thread.jpg
    BF Chestnut-breasted Mannikin thread.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 124
  • BF Striated Heron thread.jpg
    BF Striated Heron thread.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 108
  • BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 107
  • BF Water Dragon thread.jpg
    BF Water Dragon thread.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 112
A few odd pictures to finish up that visit to Oxenford Weir.

Judy and I carried our mugs and other bits up to the car, then I busied myself with taking pictures. Firstly the view of the river from where the car was parked. The weir itself was hard left out of sight.

Then I spotted a Crested Pigeon sitting up on the wires. I'd really got to love these cute wee guys.

I thought then I'd take a view across the river to the other part where you can see a speed boat having fun. Wondering where Hans was, we suddenly realised he was still sitting on the rocks, deep in conversation with someone discussing the techie points of cameras LOL

Attachments

• BF Oxenford Weir view thread.jpg
    BF Oxenford Weir view thread.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Crested Pigeon thread.jpg
    BF Crested Pigeon thread.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Oxenford view 2 thread.jpg
    BF Oxenford view 2 thread.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 23
Wonderful report Delia. It's great you made the trip, it's a birder's paradise, isn't it? Your posts take me back and I would love to go back someday. I loved our time there.

We watched as a few Sulphur-crested Cockatoos flew into some trees on the far side of the river - I managed to get a poor image of one of them.

An Osprey was sitting on a pylon while two Brahminy Kites displayed overhead.

I went back up to the car with Judy to fetch some drinks down and there on an overhead wire was a Laughing Kookaburra.

To finish off this set of 5, a Little Black Cormorant swam (and dived) in front of the weir.
The Brahminy Kites are such beautiful birds. Miss hearing the Kookaburras sound off.

Hi Sue - how lovely to hear from you.... where have you got to on your boat?

Many thanks for your lovely words and yes, the Brahminy Kites really are beautiful, aren't they.

I hope you have a wonderful 2020 lass.

Springbrook

15 October 2019

We were off early the next day to explore Springbrook, which is either part of, or adjoins, Lamington National Park.

The drive up was a bit steep and hairy in places but beautiful. I'd never really been in forests where there were these vines hanging, so I had to take a picture.

We were now at Purling Brooks car park and there was a sign there showing a translation of some Aboriginal place names. Hans and Judy had not come across these anywhere else, so I thought I'd take a picture in case you were interested.

We walked through the forest trail hearing Eastern Whipbird (still no picture even though I sort of saw him moving some leaves), a female Satin Bowerbird and Brush Turkey.

At the end of the trail, there was a viewing point over a gorge looking at a rather fine waterfall (one can only imagine how spectacular it would be after heavy rains). While there I caught sight of a rather splendid Pied Currawong.

On the way to our next stop, we came across this beautifully painted building.

Attachments

• BF Vines in Rain Forest thread.jpg
    BF Vines in Rain Forest thread.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 103
  • BF Aboriginal names and meanings thread.jpg
    BF Aboriginal names and meanings thread.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 108
  • BF Purling Brook Falls 1 thread.jpg
    BF Purling Brook Falls 1 thread.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 99
  • BF Currawong thread.jpg
    BF Currawong thread.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 77
  • BF Springbrook painted building thread.jpg
    BF Springbrook painted building thread.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 109
Those vines remind me of the Kudzu growing in the U.S. in Georgia and Alabama. It is an invasive species from Asia.

Love your avatar Delia, a bird not very often seen around here, great image!
Thanks again for all the updates much appreciated, love it all!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back