• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF (1 Viewer)

Tobias Mennle says on Greatest binoculars website.

Colour reproduction
to my eyes is problematic with a green cast. This is the second serious fault in the SF´s design. To me images often look a bit sick and muddy because of it. White objects, especially if in bright sun, will look white, as our brain will correct a lot of colour casts and bright highlights seem more robust with regards to colour casts.

What can I say? I have never seen this cast in any Zeiss binos. And it seems Tobias is saying that the pure white sands of the Western Isles only look white because my brain makes a correction.

Well, if my brain makes this correction and white sands appear white to me, then I think I will not worry about this.

Lee

Last edited:
A green bias in some (I haven't seen them all) Zeiss binoculars has been evident to me since 2007 when I first bought a Lotutec coated FL. See the post below from 2009.

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1391340&postcount=30

Hi Henry.

Did you notice any different colour or intensity on early and late FL coatings ?

The light not transmitted is light reflected in the color of the optical coating, on SF the reflected light is very strong on the objective lenses but on Zeiss FL and HT models the reflection is more subtle, giving the impression of more transparent lenses.

Did you see how complex and different is the coating on the Leica Noctivid ?

They have faint reflections of all colours from other to inner lenses different from than the reddish reflection on Zeiss Binoculars.

Hi Canip,

I have three transmission spectra for the 8x56 FL on my old computer (Gijs, Allbinos and Zeiss). If my memory is correct they are in decent agreement that its peak transmission is in the green/yellow and rolls off somewhat prematurely in both the red and blue. It makes sense to me that relatively early roll off of the transmission in both blue and red could cause a green or green/yellow bias. I'll try to find those plots and add them later.

Globetrotter,

I still have the 2004 8x42 FL and the 2007 8x56 Lotutec FL. Vivid magenta reflections dominate the returns from the lenses in the 8x56 along with a few blue ones. The are more blue reflections combined with more subdued magenta reflections returning from the early 8x42. I haven't had a chance to see a Noctivid.

Henry

What can I say? I have never seen this cast in any Zeiss binos. And it seems Tobias is saying that the pure white sands of the Western Isles only look white because my brain makes a correction.

Well, if my brain makes this correction and white sands appear white to me, then I think I will not worry about this.

Lee

Your brain will adopt the white, it would adopt the white even if it were bright greenp, but other tones will get muddied. IF there is a cast. My Zeiss Pocket 8x25 have a greenish cast, this is considered desirable in Japan where they are made. I would prefer more neutral. I love the color of my Leica 7x42 UV HD. Btw, I used to be a member of the ICC.

Edmund

Last edited:

Lee

:t:

Your brain will adopt the white, it would adopt the white even if it were bright greenp, but other tones will get muddied. IF there is a cast. My Zeiss Pocket 8x25 have a greenish cast, this is considered desirable in Japan where they are made. I would prefer more neutral. I love the color of my Leica 7x42 UV HD. Btw, I used to be a member of the ICC.

Edmund

I hear what you say Edmund and I believe you.

I have around 200 hours field experience with SF 42s and can report the following:

The grey limestone causses and cliffs near Minerve in the Languedoc look as grey through the SFs as they do with the naked eye.

The red grasses of the Isle of Islay in November look red, and there are an uncountable number of rich red-browns on Scottish hillsides in the autumn through the SFs.

Under oak and birch trees in Western Scotland the SFs pick out accurately all kinds and colours of fungi from yellow to red to purple to cream and white that stand out against grassy backgrounds.

The greys on Red-throated Divers and on many species of geese all look grey and Grey Herons also look grey not muddy.

Finally, when watching otters emerge from the sea to groom, wash and dry off, through the SFs their fur changes from a wet dark brown to a rich and vibrant brown when dry, without any 'muddiness'.

So I am very comfortable with my own conclusions about SF.

ICC = International Cricket Council? No, of course not: International Color Consortium!

Lee

Last edited:
Some remarks to the color topic:

there is no relationship between the color of the coating and the "color" of the image you see, looking through the glas. E.g. our 8x32 FL has red coating (with Lotutec) our 10x32 FL (without Lotutec) has a blue coating - no difference in looking through.

the colour variations between sun with and without a thin cloud, between the light at 8 am and 10 am, between your left eye and your right eye, are much bigger than between two good and modern binos (military binos with yellow or laser filters aside)

I use the 8x42 SF (built in year 2019) regularly, as I do with my 8x32 FL and as I use (not so regularly) other binos branded Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, Olympus, Eden, and more. For my eyes the SF is neutral. For my eyes color in the sense of tint is a now brainer. I recognize huge differences in contrast and saturation e.g. between Leica and Zeiss, but no tint.

I have seen that green cast with an early 10x42 SF model, when it was presented first at our optics store. I put that glass in front of my eyes and said loudly: Wow, green!

Months later, I had an opportunity to use both the 8x42 and 10x42, and neither one showed that green cast. I would guess that was a glitch that occurred only with a couple of early production units.

Cheers,
Holger

Back when I compared Ultravid 7x42, Swaro CL 8x30 and FL 8x32
I noticed Pines, Junipers and other greens sort of pop in the FL.
The greens seemed a little deeper than other colors. All colors in the FL seem
true to life to me and I never noticed a "tint" towards any color. I would say the FL
is a little colder in color presentation than the warmer Leica. Swaro CL seems neutral.

Now that I don't compare the FL with any other binos I don't seem to notice
the deep greens anymore. I have to say whites seem brilliant
Just as they do in my CL.

Jeez guys ! Not another pages long futile barney over colour. Let's not open that Pandoras Box again - people see what they see, and it's not up to other people to tell them what that person sees ! YMMV and that's OK. :cat:

FWIW - I see a 'green ham' colour cast to the SF's - that is - it's as much red (warm) as green. This matches up with what I see in the transmission graph where the SF is lacking in the blue.

I've added many times that I've got a weird David Bowie-like cool/warm colour cast in individual eyes at certain times of the arvo ....... but also that as part of an exec team I've set a market lauded neutral colour setting for electronic devices that would be in most homes and businesses - so I can't be that far off the 'norm'

Just relax folks :hippy: :bounce:

Don't shoot the messengers !! Lol :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Why?? What's wrong with shooting the messenger??? Who else should we shoot, if not the messenger??

Canip, behave yourself. You are Swiss and supposed to remain neutral and not shoot anybody.

Where is the United Nations when you need them?? :-O

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back