• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How often do you change the food? (1 Viewer)

The combonation that you recommended is exactly what I did! And i'm still shocked that they still liked the store bought one better. I remember measuring it exactly to the point, I didn't go over or under, Even with the water.

I wonder though, If I let it cooled down too long. That maybe where I messed up. That i'm not sure. After the boiling point. How long does it take you to let it cool down after you boil the water?

Don't bother boiling it. Just dump sugar and water into a closed container and shake vigorously for 20 or 30 seconds. Precise measurement isn't really necessary, but you might like to be able to keep notes on what you're doing so you have some way to judge your results. We've had big arguments about this in another forum, and some recent remarks of mine about what concentration I thought "experts" should recommend to the public got the full gorget-display and spread-tail treatment from one of the bonafide experts. I'll say this: start with about 1:4 (pure cane sugar to water) and fiddle with the concentration until you get a result they like. As for the birds preferring store mix to homebrew, it sounds to me like there's something else in play here that we're not seeing.

hot weather about every three days as it is starting to fog,, on cooler days it may last five or six days,,

have to agree with the others, N E V E R buy ready mixed hummy feed,, one part sugar to four parts water,, bring to boil and let cool,, been doing it for years,,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back