• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longish Range Lense (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

I am thinking about getting a Nikon D60 and can anyone suggest a lense with good range for around £600.

Thanks Jonathan Scragg

It depends on your needs/wants. I imagine you want it for bird photography since you posted on this forum.... There's the Sigma 150-500 and Tamron 200-500. Both ok, not great lenses optically, but useful with practice and under the right circumstances nonetheless. After that, it's slim pickings. Sometimes you can find old manual focus prime lenses (400mm) for about that amount.

Also, the Nikon 80-400, while the current version is too slow for birds there should be a new version on the market come this autumn or winter. It might be worth saving up until then. It's a little faster (larger maximum aperature) than the two lenses mentioned above and superior optically.

I'm kind of in the same boat and after renting both the Tamron and Sigma from a local outfit I have decided to wait (and hope) for the updated Nikon lens.

if the D60 can take a non AF-S lens (has an internal AF motor in the body), I'd look for a Nikon 300/4 AF-D and a Sigma 1.4TC the pr should be able to be purchased for well under £600.00 this will give you a 420/5.6 prime plus the 300/4. Optically its a superb lens with slightly slow AF, it will be better than the big zooms when they are extended past 400mm.
I had this combo on a D70s and it worked very well.
Not sure what the cost of a used 100-400 canon lens is but that might sway the decision on what body to buy.

the d60 will only auto focus with Nikon AFS lenses (the 80-400 will not autofocus on a d60. not sure why it is too slow for birds tho, it works for me although an afs version would be nice thanks nikon) and sigma lenses with HSM motors (or the ones which have optical Stabilisation). Some Tamron lenses will focus but not I think the 200-500.

Presuming you want to stay in your budget then I guess the Sigma 120-400 would be your best choice for length its just under £600. The other lens michael recommended 50-500 is very pricey now in the UK over a £1000.

the sigma 150-500 is £730.

new long lenses whether they be Canon or Nikon are darned expensive.

2nd hand would be a way to go.

Last edited:
several posters already pointed out that the D60, like all the other "small" Nikons, requires lenses with AF motor. This severly limits the the use of older model lenses or 2nd hand ones.
If you don't already own the D60 I would give it a 2nd thought and look into a larger Nikon that doesn't have this limitation (D80, D90, D200, D300). These offer a couple of other features that are valuable for us (direct button access to change metering mode, AF area ...).

Also, the Nikon 80-400, while the current version is too slow for birds there should be a new version on the market come this autumn or winter. It might be worth saving up until then. It's a little faster (larger maximum aperature) than the two lenses mentioned above and superior optically.

The current 80-400mm f5.6 VR is not too bad a lens at all and served me well as my first birding lens however it's priced at well over £1000 new and even a used one will be hard to come by for under £600 over here.
If Nikon bring out a new version with AF-S I bet it's well over £1500

Instead of buying the D60 buy a D90 instead. Whilst it'll cost an extra £300 it's a far better camera. With the remaining £300 invest in a 2nd hand Nikon 300/4 AF-D. It's superb lens and built like a tank.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will get the D90 now and can anyone suggest somewhere where I can get a second hand Nikon 300/4 AF-D

There's one on eBay with a day to go sitting at £185.00 (a 300/4) and one for £250.00 buy it now

Last edited:
Additional, looking on eBay you can look at a tokina 80-400 there is one at £99.00 at the mo, a lot of lens for the money if on a tight budget, do a search on google and see what they say.

Jonny for a 14yr old, I would stick with you original plan and get the cheapest entry level Nikon you can afford with a good lens in the 500mm range with image stabilization. Spend more on the lens than the camera too as they retain value whereas digital camera bodies don't. Also, a lens with image stabilzation will allow you to use the camera handheld without the extra expense and burden of a tripod.

Don't worry about the camera not having a motor drive. There are plenty of AF lenses across all focal lengths that will work just fine if not better than old lenses that need a motorized camera.

But the D90 is an excellent camera so if you can swing it along with a lens like the Sigma HSM 150-500mm you will have an excellent kit. FWIW, this kit is what I use even though I could easily own the very best. It's just a hobby afterall, not my profession!

If this kit is a little over your budget then cut back on the camera but keep the Sigma or equal lens. You can get the same sensor quality of the D90 with Nikon's newest entry level cameras, the D5000 and D3000. I would not consider the older D60 unless it is considerably cheaper than either of these. Nice camera but uses an older generation 1 sensor technology.

good luck,
Rick

You can get the same sensor quality of the D90 with Nikon's newest entry level cameras, the D5000 and D3000. I would not consider the older D60 unless it is considerably cheaper than either of these. Nice camera but uses an older generation 1 sensor technology.

good luck,
Rick

although I agree with much that you uh the d3000 has the same 10mp sensor as the d60. Nikon may have eked out a bit more from it but....

Sorry, my bad. That's what I get for not checking specs and assuming it was just Live View-less D5000! Thank's for the correction Pete. But the D3000 still has a better AF system and larger LCD than the D60. Unless the D60 was >25% cheaper I would not consider it.

cheers,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back