• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (4 Viewers)

Posted five minutes ago,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51977802

An article stating that 'social distancing' may have to continue for 'most of the year'. I just do not see how it would be economically, socially or logistically possible.

I think Birdfair is very unlikely to happen.

I just saw that on Sky news - I’m stunned - how did 12 weeks turn into nearly a year?

There’s no way I can survive on Robins and Wood Pigeons for months - actually, thinking about it, I might have to eat the pigeons if it means months of empty shelves too. Long term, having planned to do Finland this Spring and putting it off until next Spring already, will there even be an airline to get me there this time next year?

Well at least we might be more on target to reach zero emissions by 2030 (or even 2021 if this keeps up) so probably an environmental plus for our migratory birds - not that we’d know if we couldn’t get out to count them of course.

The BBC's headline writers are always good at sensationalising a headline though in these circumstances at least the substance is towards the top of the article - maybe keeping the seriousness (partly) in their mind:-

"The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) recommended alternating between more and less strict measures for most of a year."

Clearly alternating depending on effect is sensible. If people feel that there is an inevitable outcome, they will not obey restrictions. The ability to keep measures in place will continue to be placed under pressure. This seems to suggest the same pragmatism as originally suggested in delaying the most severe interventions.

All the best

I just saw that on Sky news - I’m stunned - how did 12 weeks turn into nearly a year?

Well at least we might be more on target to reach zero emissions by 2030 (or even 2021 if this keeps up) so probably an environmental plus for our migratory birds - not that we’d know if we couldn’t get out to count them of course.

I'm more concerned about the damage the shooting fraternity will seek to inflict on our raptor populations while they think nobody is looking.

John

Sadly John, that is highly likely. Our Police could well be diverted to other " higher priority" incidents very soon, rather than investigate wildlife crimes combined with far fewer public pairs of eyes and eyes out and about. There will be some wildlife winners and losers during this crisis.and I'd imagine many conservation projects will be suspended and / or cancelled.

Sadly John, that is highly likely. Our Police could well be diverted to other " higher priority" incidents very soon, rather than investigate wildlife crimes combined with far fewer public pairs of eyes and eyes out and about. There will be some wildlife winners and losers during this crisis.and I'd imagine many conservation projects will be suspended and / or cancelled.

If anybody really fancies a conspiracy theory, we have got a Tory government at the moment.... ;)

John

There will be some wildlife winners and losers during this crisis.and I'd imagine many conservation projects will be suspended and / or cancelled.

Our Lanner surveillance camps have been obviously cancelled. Occasional visits with temporary permits by one or two volunteers will be possible but not the full-time surveillance that was needed to deter the poachers/falconers. In Sicily where the number of camps for Lanner and for Bonelli's Eagle is 20 times the ones in Tuscany it's going to be even worse. And even if we are in lockdown and people are not supposed to travel, the villains will find a way especially as pyrtle says police will be busy elsewhere :-C

Unless you use hides, I can't see increased risk from being outside birding. Additionally, if you fill up at the same place, it matters not whether you bird your patch or a hundred miles away. Social distancing does not have to mean mouldering indoors.
It depends whether the UK will have a complete shutdown like Italy. At this moment I’m self isolating, because of my medical condition. I’m normally out every week birdwatching, but my health is more important. I just hope this ends sooner than later, although I’m pessimistic about this at the present time.
Ian.

"The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) recommended alternating between more and less strict measures for most of a year."

Eat, sleep, work, repeat....|:(|

Just got word that my April trip to Israel was finally cancelled. Not surprised by any stretch.

I think the US State Dept. raising the travel warning level to "Do not travel" for the entire world, pushed them over the edge.

Stay safe, everyone.

My understanding is that the research group has zero expectation of keeping the current measures in place continuously for a full year, but rather lower the infection/new case rate to a certain threshhold, relax restrictions, and potentially add them back in should rates go beyond those levels.

I guess the question is what actual measures will be relaxed. Will travel bans still be in effect even is restaurants reopen?

Lockdown 'Lifer'

Looks like I completely missed the lockdown ruling in Portugal so went birding. It was a minor diversion, as was not far from the area anyway, more than a complete drive out for nothing. And I got a lifer - Iberian Chiffchaff - now 2 in 3 days (with the Ring Necked Duck pre lockdown on Wednesday).

Bang goes ignorance after having spent Thursday cooped up and not catching the shutdown ruling. On Thursday night people were exercising in the park. Yesterday went to the headland where saw one person in the distance and one other car.

That said I too could not survive on 'birds from the balcony' but I guess thats it for now...

Attachments

• Ducks.jpg
    Ducks.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Sardy.jpg
    Sardy.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Owl.jpg
    Owl.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Apart from the obvious risks to health in the current situation there is surely going to be a huge rise in mental health problems. In the predictions of death rates, I'd add a large increase in suicide numbers.

Rosbifs - nice pics.

Steve - Of course, the mental health strain on everyone is huge and I'll be popping outside shortly for a drive to try and take in some birding to relieve a morning of numbers. Mutual support is clearly the way and within an organisation that has recently put a reasonable amount of resource into mental health first aiders, at least the more recent focus on such things is well timed.

In passing, I comment on yesterday's economic package in the UK. Despite some significant holes, as someone who has spent a fortnight modelling financial effect and in discussions with professional advisers and other people within the same business, it will have a very significant positive impact on cashflow (delaying VAT and the July self-assessment tax payment) and that reduces significantly the deficits within predicted cashflow forecasts. Similarly, the staff support scheme has the prospect of mothballing workers in a paid status and significantly changing calculations around redundancy. Less relevant to us but potentially massive generally. The main hole is probably for those without a positive impact from VAT and self-assessment but hopefully the loan scheme will help those.

All the best

My understanding is that the research group has zero expectation of keeping the current measures in place continuously for a full year, but rather lower the infection/new case rate to a certain threshhold, relax restrictions, and potentially add them back in should rates go beyond those levels.

I can't understand why it wouldn't come back as soon as the restrictions are relaxed? It's still going to be hiding somewhere in the world.

I can't understand why it wouldn't come back as soon as the restrictions are relaxed? It's still going to be hiding somewhere in the world.

But the hope has to be that we are better armed to deal with it (despite being a unqualified sceptic on most things). Now to pop out. Birds await. I may find a quiet spot to watch some House Sparrows.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back