• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help please : Habicht SL 10x40 black (1 Viewer)

Hello

someone has just offered me a pair of Habicht SL 10x40 black "rubber " finish
they say they dont know how old they are but claim they are in "good condition"
they sent me some photos and I saw a sn

they are asking 400€
no case

any thoughts ?
cheers

V

Hi Jan

I just sent them a mail via their website

SN 84438

I washed my hands before I wrote the mail o:)

Attachments

• sCapture.PNG
    sCapture.PNG
    156.9 KB · Views: 113
Hi,

the SL series is not one of Swaros greatest. It will have the old coatings called "Blaubelag" which tend to result into a quite yellow image. Also the focus drive tends to be quite stiff and stray light resistance is so-so...

It also cost new less than 1000 DM (or 500€) so 400€ is a bit steep.

Joachim, who would either try to get a classic Habicht 10x40 with later coatings than "Blaubelag" or maybe save up and try to get some SLC... or some other brand

Last edited:
To my knowledge, the 10x40 SL was made between 1980 and 1984.The sample I investigated had a fairly low light transmission of a bit over 50%, see a copy of my powerpoint presentation about the history of Swaroski optik on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, topic "Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken". They are very nice colectors items.
Gijs van Ginkel

I owned most of the SL models between about 1985 and 1992. They used the 3-layer Swarotop multi-coating of the time. A new one was quite bright and much less yellow biased than the 2-layer "Transmax" coated Habicht Porros of the same period.

I bought a 10x40 around 1991 or 92. I didn't keep it very long because of the very slow ratchety focusing common to the whole series, but the optics were essentially identical to the much praised, still available Habicht 10x40 Porro, except the SL coatings were better then and it had 2 fewer glass to air surfaces in the cemented prism.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much

I love the historic aspects but I'm not ready to start a collection
I'm looking for a backup pair of binoculars ...

Thanks again

The 10x40 was introduced in 1982 and made until at least late 1991. 10x40 numbering started from #80,000
Since #84,438 is within the first 5,000 10x40 units, it’s an early model from within the first couple of years

For those interested in a model to use, as the efficiency of the coatings improved significantly over the SL's life span, I'd be strongly inclined to a more recent model
see the middle 3 graphs from Gijs showing the improvement in performance at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=371675&page=2

10x40 numerical numbering goes to at least #631,519, with higher numbering generally being better (see the link below)
and Alpha-Numeric numbering is on the most recent production

John

p.s. for more information about SL numbering and dating see here: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3965225&postcount=22

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back