• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

seeking opinions... (1 Viewer)

idaho john

Just getting into taking pics. Want to be able to take shots of Kestrels, large buteos and prairie falcons. Enjoy sparrows and other small birds as well. I am not confident of my ability to take shots of small birds (even large birds) on the wing. So on to the question:

I have an opportunity to get an Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1(2)? with a 14-45 and a (45-200?) 4/3 lens (?) (be patient here I have no idea about lens types, who the maker is for the lens and what to use for wild birds...just learning) for about the same price as Panasonic DMC-FZ150K.

Am I better off just getting the FZ150 over the G1?

I am not a professional photographer (gee, not even an amateur one), I just want to be able to take pics of some of the wild birds I see. And maybe - do some landscape shots (in time). The pics will be for me to document time spent in the field.

The video function on both of these is lost on me. I may change my mind later, but I have almost no interest in shooting video at this time.

Your opinons please?

Last edited:
Difficult choice. I think you have choices between options that are not quite going to cut it for the falcons in flight. Those would be damn difficult with my GH2 which is a newer and faster AF camera than the ones you are mentioning.

Now if you were talking pictures of birds sitting, both options would probably do: for close birds the G1 or 2 would probably give the best results but for more distant ones you will end up wishing for the lens with more reach (100-300). If that is the way you go you can add that lens later. OR, you can choose to go for the FZ which has better reach from the get go, so usable on longer distances but with less quality than what is possible with the m4/3. For any option, remember that longer distances also means more heat haze between the bird and you, so that added reach may not help as much as you think compared to getting closer.

For birds in flight, more expensive dSLR such as the canon 7d with the much heavier and more expensive 100-400 mm lens would give better results. You could also hope that eventually the m4/3 system would develop into one that can do what is needed, so by the first of your options with the intent of learning and upgrading to a later version in a few years. The specs on the GH3 looks interesting re AF speed, and maybe the next model will be even better.

Niels

and...

Niels: tnx for your reply. I am pretty new to the camera thing. But enjoy birding enough that it would be nice to document some of the birds I enjoy. Lots to learn, but I like the Panasonic G series and the idea of the 4/3 format. Having a Kodak - all in one - point and shoot in the past, I wanted something a bit different and a step up in terms of photographing birds.

john

and...

Niels: I like your selection. I do see a difference between earlier pics and the panasonic with the lens mentioned (maybe I want to see that difference...). Love the kestrel, grey hawk, the pair of Harris Hawks, all the Oriole pics, the various thrushes (a personal favorite). Some of these birds (many of these birds), I may never see except through your lens.

The Bobwhite Quail was great to see. There is an abandoned population here in Idaho. Someone (maybe the state fish and game?) brought them to Idaho in years past and once in a while you can hear their call. I have not seen one for quite a while, but an acquaintance of mine, sees a covey of them almost daily...in a quite busy suburban area.

This is the type of photos I am looking to learn how to take. That and landscapes.

I think one of the Panasonic G series with that lens is in my future. I may go ahead and buy my friends G1 and then hunt for the 100-300 lens, and purchase a bit later.

Thank you.

john

Last edited:
John, I take loads of bird shots with the Panasonic FZ150 and now the FZ200. Many of them are in flight as well. You can see a lot of my shots on my Flickr page. Start looking at them here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/62434662@N05/

I find the FZ series pretty good, but the larger the sensor the better the image, although in good light, there's not too much difference.

and...

Rodger - doggone it! I had made my mind up to go with 4/3 set up and here you go showing what great results you got with the FZ-150...:storm:

Just teasing - however thank you, this makes my choice(s) routine start all over again...and that's not a bad thing.

I love the shot of the Pacific Blue Wren and the Australian Magpies. The Kite is my favorite (so far) and since swallows are a personal favorite - I like your shots of them on the wing.

I appreciate the invitation to view your pics - you and Niels are doing what I want to do eventually. Have to buy the thing after I do enough research to see which system I want and them agonize over spending the money and then...

John

idaho john - Don't discount the video thing too fast. I find that for later enjoyment and often for bird identification, I am shooting more and more video. It takes practice on a moving bird but part of photography is the challenge, imho. If you are going to share with friends, good video is more captivating, especially if they are not keen birders.

Steve

hello, i have not much to add to what Niels sugested, as i do agree with him that the lumix 100-300mm is a fantastic choice to got with any m4/3 body (Olympus pen series or panasomic G and GH series).
if you care check my tiny dad shot, and corncrake.

both are taken for relatively close dostance.

but both the desert dance and star of migration are taken from quite a distance and they are a bit of a large crop.

just find a good priced body, and with this lens you will be fine.

Glad to add to your confusion. Ha! Look, you can't go wrong with the m4/3 setup, but its a lot more expensive than a superzoom and not quite as convenient.

I agree with Hamhed, don't discount video, I used to do a lot of it, but stopped using it with the FZ150, as the screen blacks out for about a second before it starts recording. Its hard to follow a moving bird when the screen is black. The new FZ200 doesn't do that and I might start using video again a bit more frequently, now that issue has been rectified.

and...

thank you all for your friendly replies. I fluctuate between just getting the FZ or holding out for a G series and back and forth until I realize that there is no rush. And I am doing this for me and I am aware that most pics taken just satisfy the photographer and not for long (my dad was an avid photographer and kept his shots of wildflowers and would show them to anyone who would wade through them - until some of the family just told him to stop showing them, but it made him very happy). So if I take one pic and like it then the impulse will be served and the hook will be set.

I need to wait things out a bit anyway as I have a tendency to be compulsive. However that compulsiveness got me a very nice binocular...

Will keep looking. And opinions are still welcome.

John

Last edited:
and...

Well, bad or good, I am now the owner of a Panasonic dmc-G1 and the 14-45 lens. The deal that was supposed to include the 45-200 lens just conveniently evaporated and changed into "no if you want the other lens, you will have to pay xxx.xx. So I decided to buy the camera anyway and keep him in mind as a person to avoid and will save and get the 100-300 lens another time. Now it is learning about the camera that I have and taking pics with the lens that comes with it.

Thanks guys - I appreciate your opinions and suggestions. I have the body that I want and will go from here (or succumb to impulse and buy something else). And please feel free to continue to post and give opinions...I value what has been posted/shared so far.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back