• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few questions (1 Viewer)

david2004

Bird numbers around here are up and I'm even getting a Chiffchaff in the back garden which is great. Weird thing, though- while watching starlings, doves, tits, etc in the back garden, one or two tits kept pecking at the hanging basket lining(?) and a few starlings kept disappearing to the side of the house and reappearing. I looked out the window and they were all investigating the house martin nest box, which has been cleaned out after blue tit nesting(!) this year. Do you think, if the blues nest in there again, the starlings will cause them any problems?

Also, i haven't seen a song thrush for months, and there have been no blackbirds for a while. is it the same anywhere else?

tp20uk said:
Bird numbers around here are up and I'm even getting a Chiffchaff in the back garden which is great. Weird thing, though- while watching starlings, doves, tits, etc in the back garden, one or two tits kept pecking at the hanging basket lining(?) and a few starlings kept disappearing to the side of the house and reappearing. I looked out the window and they were all investigating the house martin nest box, which has been cleaned out after blue tit nesting(!) this year. Do you think, if the blues nest in there again, the starlings will cause them any problems?

Also, i haven't seen a song thrush for months, and there have been no blackbirds for a while. is it the same anywhere else?
Your starling's are just being nosey, they could be this years young having a look around, dont think they will do your blue tits any harm. As regards your blackbirds our's have just started to make an appearance after moulting, so give them time. Same with the song thrush, they will be seen more when the weather gets colder. Just keep on looking, regards bert.

Hello,

'My' blackbirds have deserted the garden but are not far away - they are raiding the berries in the hedges and woods close by. Every so often one will come to check if there are any raisins in the usual place.

I know it is early for the tits etc to be thinking of roosting sites for winter but I thought I'd mention that last year I overlooked a hanging basket attached to the side of the house (attached - not swinging) - complete with moss inside and unbelievably wrens used it through the winter to Spring. They created two tunnels in the moss. The kitchen light and security light didn't seem to bother them The only time they were spooked was if someone stood too long on the doorstep saying their goodbyes - then they would fly off - but always returned. Fingers crossed for this year also - we're already preparing a 'des res' to entice them.

The last thought is - when I was emptying the swinging baskets the bottom had a selection of earwigs and 'crawlies'. I wonder do 'your' birds know this is a food source?

Margaret

thanks for all your help. sorry, i dont no the answer to that question, but im sure someone else will offer help

Hi Margaret, i would think the answer is yes they always seem to know were there is a good food source.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back