• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji HS50 vs Canon SX50 (1 Viewer)

earleybird

I thought that i would start a new thread specifically for all those SX50 owners and others who seem determined to disrupt the Fuji HS50 thread with their image quality issues and comparisons rather than post in the correct forum or start a thread of their own.

Now there is no excuse for anyone to post in the Fuji HS50 thread where comparisons and debates about the Canon SX50 and other cameras are not welcome, not helpful and disruptive.

Don't get me wrong, I am interested in having this debate and discussing comparisons between any cameras , just not on the thread that I started to be an information resource to Fuji XS50 owners and prospective buyers.

I will add an image from my HS50 as soon as I can take one thats not through glass.
Lets see your Canon SX50 and other camera images for comparison and discussion.

I will start the ball rolling. I have only had the HS50 camera for 3 days. LOVE the feel, manual focus ring and mega fast AF. I am struggling with a soft issue on most of my pictures, but its a very new camera so i need to get out there and mess with da setting :t:

I like this photo, but not the composition haha

Attachments

• bully-caged.jpg
    bully-caged.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 703
I will start the ball rolling. I have only had the HS50 camera for 3 days. LOVE the feel, manual focus ring and mega fast AF. I am struggling with a soft issue on most of my pictures, but its a very new camera so i need to get out there and mess with da setting :t:

I like this photo, but not the composition haha

cracking Bullfinch capture Punta well done. I haven't seen a Bullfinch in my garden for many years.
Swop you a Blackcap ?;)

don't forget to add the exif data and subject distance when you get a chance.

So how does the fuji do at shooting through clutter?

The Canon is brilliant.

By the way I have never before come across a message board where the OP owns a thread, and is rude to people trying to be helpful in responding to other posters.

David

The Canon is brilliant.

By the way I have never before come across a message board where the OP owns a thread, and is rude to people trying to be helpful in responding to other posters.

David

Did I miss the rudeness? Has it been deleted?

If I ever wanted to buy either one of them Fuji's manual zoom has captured me. It is just too slow to zoom in the Canon every time one wishes a quick telephoto shot.

The Canon is brilliant.

David

David....
you came onto the FUJI camera forum and posted pictures and opinion about your CANON camera in a FUJI HS50 camera resource thread so i politely requested that you posted in the correct forum the CANON forum, or start a thread of your own

If that was rude then I was rude.

Now it seems that not satisfied with that, you have now posted here ,again on the Fuji forum trying to kick off another argument.?

why do you feel the urge to do that ?

Are you incapable of starting your own thread on this forum ?

I am not sure if it is the right thing to post a Canon pic on the Fuji forums or is it just a thread for posting Fuji images?
Any way at the risk of posting in the wrong thread I will post a few (very average) snaps from the lowly SX50. BTW I paid £239 for the SX50 so I would not expect it to match up to the significantly more expensive Fuji.
I snapped this one this morning and it is one I would normally bin but thought it was a fair example of the 1.5x digital teleconverter. Taken from around 120 feet hand held at 1800mm and heavily cropped. Nothing more than a softish and noisy record shot but even so it yields a little fine detail IMHO.

Attachments

• Buzzard1.jpg
    Buzzard1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 771
Here is another example of the 1.5x digital teleconverter on the SX50 - this was shot at 1600mm and hand held. Ascetically it is not very good as I did not get all the reflection in but it is a good example of the digital converter at work.
I would estimate this was shot from around 100 feet and is cropped for compo. I was reasonably pleased with the detail on the black neck from this distance which is the main reason for me posting it.

Attachments

• canada1.jpg
    canada1.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:
Hi, I've just ordered the Fuji, tbh I would have gone with a FZ200 if it had a longer zoom (as I've been very happy with my Panansonic TZ30 travel zoom camera) but as it's mainly for birds it was between the fs50 and sx50.

I'm still not convinced by what I've seen from the Fuji, but I was sold by the look/size, and high resolution view finder and screen. The store I bought from said I will have 14 days to test the camera and return it if I want.

I'm really hoping I can get images I'm happy with and looking forward to testing it. Happy snapping everyone!

I thought that i would start a new thread specifically for all those SX50 owners and others who seem determined to disrupt the Fuji HS50 thread with their image quality issues and comparisons rather than post in the correct forum or start a thread of their own.
With due respect 'earlybird' if it was not for you insinuating (wrongly) that I was a DSLR man with no experience of these little 'superzooms' and thus was not qualified to make comments on the SH50 thread I would never have posted some SX40 shots - I felt that was the only way of convincing you that I had a right to comment on the HS50 as I was genuinely interested in the Camera and these little so called 'superzooms'.
If all you guys on the HS50 thread are only interested in praising the Camera and will not tolerate any kind of constructive criticism then I fear a lot of you will never improve you photographic skills.
If I had one tip for anyone trying to improve it would be to be ultra self critical and always look for things that you could improve upon in a photo. I must have take several hundred thousand bird photos over the years and can honestly say I have never been complete satisfied with a single shot - The day I am 100% satisfied with a shot is the day I stop learning!. As for Cameras the perfect one has yet to be invented as far as I am concerned, even some of the very expensive full frame DSLR's have there drawbacks.

Last edited:
Roy
I'm a HS30 user and am paying lots of attention to the HS50 as its users get to grips with it. I've been admiring your shots from when you had the SX40 through to the SX50, excellent and a very convincing argument for that camera. I posted on DPR and will repeat here, that in the early days of the SX50 there was a wide variety of quality of images being produced. With time comes improvement. I will also add that there was a clear open invitation on the other HS50 thread (post 270) for other superzoom users to show off their images. Wow - did that go pear shaped :) and here we are on this new thread.
I like the idea of the 50x zoom on the Canon but am so put off by the EVF and I do love the handling of the Fuji.
To you Roy, keep up the great work and thanks for setting us all a challenge to get the best out of what we have.
To the HS50 owners, keep at it. My early shots with the HS30 were poor and very soft. With time ( and Joms showed this better than anyone I know) we shared settings, got some great light and the only way was up.
Regards
Ian

Here are a few snaps taken on my very first time out with the SX50 a couple of weeks ago, this time without the digital converter. Fairly cluttered backgrounds make them poor images I am afraid but it does show some feather detail on the birds.
All shots hand hand and taken at the full optical zoom of 1200mm.

Attachments

• robin1.jpg
    robin1.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 594
  • dunnock2.jpg
    dunnock2.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 419
  • spadger1.jpg
    spadger1.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 436
  • dunnock1.jpg
    dunnock1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 377
Roy
I'm a HS30 user and am paying lots of attention to the HS50 as its users get to grips with it. I've been admiring your shots from when you had the SX40 through to the SX50, excellent and a very convincing argument for that camera. I posted on DPR and will repeat here, that in the early days of the SX50 there was a wide variety of quality of images being produced. With time comes improvement. I will also add that there was a clear open invitation on the other HS50 thread (post 270) for other superzoom users to show off their images. Wow - did that go pear shaped :) and here we are on this new thread.
I like the idea of the 50x zoom on the Canon but am so put off by the EVF and I do love the handling of the Fuji.
To you Roy, keep up the great work and thanks for setting us all a challenge to get the best out of what we have.
To the HS50 owners, keep at it. My early shots with the HS30 were poor and very soft. With time ( and Joms showed this better than anyone I know) we shared settings, got some great light and the only way was up.
Regards
Ian
Hi Ian, Like I have said many times I am sure that the HS50 must be well capable of far better shots than I am seeing at the moment (in theory it should be out performing the cheaper, lower spec'd Canon).
I was trying to be honest when I suggested that most of the shots I have seen were soft and lacking detail and even tried to make a constructive suggestion that maybe folks had the noise reduction setting too high - that was obviously a wrong move as it seems as if the folks do not want any kind of constructive critique which is a shame as I am sure they could be getting more out of the Camera.
Yep the EVF is crap on the SX40/50 but it is adequate to get the shot and an electronic viewfinder will never be up to a decent DSLR anyway IMHO.There are also many other things I do not like on the SX50 but for me it is just a little walkabout for times when I do not want to take my DSLR gear with me.
Happy snapping :t:

With due respect 'earlybird' if it was not for you insinuating (wrongly) that I was a DSLR man with no experience of these little 'superzooms' and thus was not qualified to make comments on the SH50 thread I would never have posted some SX40 shots - I felt that was the only way of convincing you that I had a right to comment on the HS50 as I was genuinely interested in the Camera and these little so called 'superzooms'.
If all you guys on the HS50 thread are only interested in praising the Camera and will not tolerate any kind of constructive criticism then I fear a lot of you will never improve you photographic skills.
If I had one tip for anyone trying to improve it would be to be ultra self critical and always look for things that you could improve upon in a photo. I must have take several hundred thousand bird photos over the years and can honestly say I have never been complete satisfied with a single shot - The day I am 100% satisfied with a shot is the day I stop learning!. As for Cameras the perfect one has yet to be invented as far as I am concerned, even some of the very expensive full frame DSLR's have there drawbacks.

you sure do like the sound of your own voice Roy don't you !:-O

You are so desperate for some argument and a chance to crow over your images that you've even come onto this thread to try get a response..... Pathetic.

I am going to put you on my ignore list Roy so that i do not have to read any more of your trolling self righteous twaddle

you sure do like the sound of your own voice Roy don't you !:-O

You are so desperate for some argument and a chance to crow over your images that you've even come onto this thread to try get a response..... Pathetic.

I am going to put you on my ignore list Roy so that i do not have to read any more of your trolling self righteous twaddle
As I thought, this is labelled a HS50 v SX50 thread BUT only pics from the Fuji are allowed and every post must agree that the the HS50 is a far better Camera and no disagreements will be tolerated LOL :-O

I am the first to admit that my shots are crap which is more than can be said of some of the rubbish that has been posted on the HS50 thread accompanied with comments about how great they are.

BTW, I did not even know this thread existed until someone on another thread asked me to post some shots on here for comparison - seems like they also thought that shots from both Cameras could be posted for comparison.

You should be concentrating on how to get the best out of the Camera you have instead of having a go at everyone who dare to challenge the HS50 :t:.

BTW I paid £239 for the SX50 so I would not expect it to match up to the significantly more expensive Fuji.

Hi Roy

I'd be very interested to know where you got the camera from at the price, as I'm seriously tempted to splash out on one, but persuading the keeper of the family purse to sanction the purchase won't be easy - so the lower the price, the better my chances!

John

Gentlemen,
Surely aren't we in danger of losing the plot here? I quote from Post #1 ;
"Lets see your Canon SX50 and other camera images for comparison and discussion."
Unless I'm missing something, isn't that what is happening on this thread, and wasn't that the intention - thus avoiding disruption to the Fuji thread.

Posting a Canon image with a description of the settings, distance, use of the camera facilities etc. is surely meeting the original request.

Or is it being proposed that two photographers, one using a Canon and the other a Fuji, photograph an identical subject from the same place at the same time and post side by side images for comparison. Or that, heaven forbid, a single photographer ( a wealthy man) goes out with both cameras and does the same thing!

I am trying very hard to get the best results I can from (I admit it, my Canon) and follow the SX50 thread closely. That said, I am also interested in how the Fuji is shaping up and would like to see comparison shots.

There are two ways to learn a lesson - the hard way, involving lots of frustration and unhappiness, and the easy way, by learning from someone else's experiences.

Whilst the two cameras are undoubtedly different, with different facilities, there must be some common ground from which owners of either can benefit. And surely, this is the thread where that can happen.

Let's see more pics from both camps.

Scrapper

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back