• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PC OneSafe HELP!! (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
For the first time ever I've had my browsing interrupted telling me I've got three viruses!!! Never had one before!

Microsoft OneSafe had to be downloaded and has run a check and says I've got 200 items available for cleaning.

Now it wants me to "Register OneSafe PC Cleaner and optimize my PC "

What the heck? Do I do this?

With some other advice, I've now downloaded and run Malwarebytes and deleted OneSafe from my computer.

Don't know how the heck all that happened! Is OneSafe not really a MS product, or what?

For the first time ever I've had my browsing interrupted telling me I've got three viruses!!! Never had one before!

Microsoft OneSafe had to be downloaded and has run a check and says I've got 200 items available for cleaning.

Now it wants me to "Register OneSafe PC Cleaner and optimize my PC "

What the heck? Do I do this?

Onesafe PC cleaner appears to be a fake security application. It will tell you that you have a problem (virus), then when you install it, it will tell you that you need to install the full version (and pay for it) to get rid of that particular virus. You would then have to get rid of what you have installed, as it will cause problems in itself.

I would not do anything until you get knowledgable advice.

Thanks Paul.

I became really suspicious when it asked me to 'Register'! I thought no way am I going further with this until I find out more.

Hopefully it's been zapped now.

Using Google, I searched
onesafe Microsoft
It returns equal praise and despair of the product. Many claim it to be fake and hard to uninstall, and one mentioned the scenario you had.
Others seemed to rate it highly.
I have no experience of it, so cannot really help, but there are some good articles on removing it, should it come to that.
I do not recognise it as MS, but it may be that its available through the MS app store, but I could not see it on my Android tablet.
There are a number of similar programmes, I have looked at OneSafe.
Sorry not to help, this time,
Harry

Many thanks for looking Harry.

It's not the sort of thing you want to see when you've just woken up (or are barely awake LOL).

One thing that really made me suspicious, was that it said I'd not updated my system for some time, when there was a Windows update only about a week ago!

Its always the worst time...
When you quickly log on to check traffic before a journey, or sign off to go to bed.
Computer says
I just need 2 hours to sort this out; it may be nothing, or it may wipe your online presence, so don't ignore me. Its worse than a mendicant teenager.:t:
H

:-O

Yeah there's never a 'good' time for these things is there. But some times are worse than others.

Onesafe is not a Microsoft product. As said above it is one of the many fake "anti-virus" products, the best they do is ask you to pay for the removal of non existing problems the worst they can do is actually install active malware on your computer.

The best thing to do is keep your computer updated and use a security scanner from a trusted source, and trust it! If you get a random web pop up proclaiming you have a virus or you need a Flash update then just close it!

Thanks Mono and AJS

I also ran ADW Cleaner after running Malwarebytes, so just keep your fingers crossed for my boot-up tomorrow morning.

While all this was going on I had a warning from WinPatrol that userinit.exe had been added to my Start Up! No idea what that is, but seem to have got rid of it as I can't find any trace of it now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back