• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scilly at short notice? (1 Viewer)

dbradnum

I've got next week booked off work, and no plans beyond "go birding wherever it looks good". The latest forecast suggests that the east coast isn't likely to be fantastic (the predominant wind direction would appear to be south, not east), so I'm wondering about other options.

I've never set foot on the Scillies, and clearly there's a number of excellent birds down there at the moment which may (or may not) stick. So, my question is:

What are the chances of being able to get onto St Marys and into a cheap B&B (booked at short notice - pretty much the day before, I'd imagine) next week?

It's relatively late in the Scilly season, so presumably numbers of birders will dwindle a bit.... but enough to make a last-minute trip feasible, or not?

Thoughts welcome, particularly from those that have tried this sort of nonsense in the past....

Thanks

I believe next week is "Teachers Week" (half term) so the B&Bs that are still open may well be booked up already.

I also have my doubts that "cheap" B&Bs exist there! Cheapest option is sharing self-catering, so you may find a group with a spare settee if you're lucky?

If you're sufficiently hard core camping is an option - camp sites on The Garisson and at St Agnes - doubt they will be full. And there is allways sleeping in the hide at Porthellick...

David

Knowing that your girlfriend is a teacher, I'm presuming that it'd be the both of you going down as it's school holidays next week. Therefore, I imagine roughing it on The Garrison in a tent would not be the ideal option.

As far as I'm aware, B&Bs are from about £28 to £35 per person per night for a decent standard - you will be paying over the odds, it's the nature of the island's economy compared to the mainland. I guarantee there'll be spaces down there and B&Bs will not be shut. Coupled with that, I actually reckon that the last week of October is potentially the best of the weeks to go - still a fair few birds (though I'm sure Rokermartin will suggest you'd see more on Shetland or Fairly Vile) and fewer people.

I've always turned up on Scilly with no accommodation and I've always found a flat with mates or a B&B to spare. Finding a B&B at very short notice should not be an issue.

When it comes to 'teacher's week', I reckon that you will not see more birds anywhere in the country at this time of year and therefore Scilly would allow a bird-filled few days and time to explore the islands with relatively few people. And, as often is the case, the star birds from previous weeks often linger to be joined by a few new rares (you may even find one). I remember in 2002 I went over for the Grey-cheeked Thrush on St.Agnes late October, ended up staying a couple of days seeing Blyth's Reed Wblr, a couple of Serins, a Melodious Warbler along with a lot of other migrants. Then there was the Ovenbird... I really don't think the season tails off in the last week. I did a week on there with my parents in late Oct 1995 and saw Blackpoll Wblr, Red-eyed Vireo, R-t Pipit, Tawny Pipit, Rustic Bunting, Western Bonelli's Wblr, Melodious Wblr - it was all a bit much for a wide-eyed 14 year old.

Good luck, I'd go if I were you.

Rich

Rich Bonser said:
I actually reckon that the last week of October is potentially the best of the weeks to go - still a fair few birds (though I'm sure Rokermartin will suggest you'd see more on Shetland or Fairly Vile)

dammit, I was going to make a joke about that..

3:)

good luck if you go David!!

Rich Bonser said:
David

Knowing that your girlfriend is a teacher, I'm presuming that it'd be the both of you going down as it's school holidays next week. Therefore, I imagine roughing it on The Garrison in a tent would not be the ideal option.

<etc>
Cheers for all that Rich - I was thinking of PMing you specifically, but you've beaten me to it!

Actually, Suzanne isn't coming, having opted to go and coo over her sister's baby instead.... but I still don't really fancy camping unless I really have to!

Is the cheapest and easiest way to get over there via helicopter?
Ta

David

PS Of that list of birds from '95, you've pretty much covered every single embarrassing gap on my list (except Rosefinch) - all 7 would be lifers! :eek!:

dbradnum said:
Cheers for all that Rich - I was thinking of PMing you specifically, but you've beaten me to it!

Actually, Suzanne isn't coming, having opted to go and coo over her sister's baby instead.... but I still don't really fancy camping unless I really have to!

Is the cheapest and easiest way to get over there via helicopter?
Ta

David

PS Of that list of birds from '95, you've pretty much covered every single embarrassing gap on my list (except Rosefinch) - all 7 would be lifers! :eek!:

Do the boat if your stomach can stand it. You would get great views of Shearwaters, Skuas, various migrants. If you get a bad day though, you may be puking for 3 hours solis to the great amusement of the crew!

It's about £50 cheaper for a return as well

One other slightly random question: if I fly over, what's the situation with luggage, esp a tripod? Do I need to pack it away, or will it happily go across loose, in the hold or with me?

dbradnum said:
One other slightly random question: if I fly over, what's the situation with luggage, esp a tripod? Do I need to pack it away, or will it happily go across loose, in the hold or with me?

If you go on the 'copter you are very restricted weight-wise, so if you take a tri-pod, you may have to go short on the 'Y'-Fronts!

Just to nick Davids thread....

I'm thinking of going across on the weekend after next, but want to do it as cheaply as possible. I know that the RSPB do run offers (and they are flexible about when), but will the 1/2 price offer still be running this late on in the year? Also, looking at prices, one is marked as 'saver', which is 20 quid cheaper than standard return. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two??

Cheers

D

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back