• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dream Bino... or Most Beautiful Set.....What's Your Pick? (1 Viewer)

Hi Arthur,

I've always thought that the rarer leatherette version of the 8x30 Classic looks even better . . .

John

Attachments

• Classic Leatherette.jpg
    Classic Leatherette.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Yup - to me, they both look beauties.....
The binoculars i had in mind when i said 'i wish i liked them more optically' were generally Leica, which i think has mastered the art of making very attractive sets. That was until i recently tried a 7x42 Ultravid HD+ which I 'got on with' on all counts.
However, I'm old enough now to appreciate that some things are just better left out there as an object of desire, rather than doing anything about it...if you know what i mean....;)

I am one of those who don't give a hoot, but I can't deny some binoculars are nicer to look at than others. I agree with John that the leatherette Dialyts look more attractive to my eyes, although the rubber armour is utilitarian and if anything even more iconic. The leatherette finish calls to mind classic cameras of comparable fit and finish, and links Leitz and Zeiss with that part of the companies' heritage. My favourite cars to look at are mostly from the 90s, but for some reason I think the best looking binoculars are from the 50s and 60s: Leitz roofs, Zeiss West porros and so on. That those models continue to fetch high prices today is down to their looks, mechanical quality and handling, for in optical technology they have long been surpassed. Fortunately, even in the UK, there is enough sun for many months of the year that these fine old pieces can still give much enjoyment.

Attachments

• 20180520_071807_01.JPG
    20180520_071807_01.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 52
  • P1060564_01.JPG
    P1060564_01.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 53
Just recently got the Habicht 8x30. Made some adjustments to the eyecups. Definitely beautiful, and beautiful to look through.

Attachments

• IMG_9729.jpg
    IMG_9729.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9731.jpg
    IMG_9731.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9644.jpg
    IMG_9644.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back