• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB not closing hides at Leighton Moss. (1 Viewer)

trw

Leighton Moss have closed the visitor centre and cafe but are allowing visitors to still use the hides and raised platform.
Don't forget: all the visitors will be touching the hide door handles, the window latches, the shelves and the seats.
Anyone going up the raised platform is likely to be touching the handrail and the railing at the top.
Visitors are then likely to put their hands in close proximity with their face when using optical and photographic equipment.
Best avoided since the coronavirus can be picked up from surfaces.

Last edited:
Leighton Moss have closed the visitor centre and cafe but are allowing visitors to still use the hides and raised platform.
Don't forget: all the visitors will be touching the hide door handles, the window latches, the shelves and the seats.
Anyone going up the raised platform is likely to be touching the handrail and the railing at the top.
Visitors are then likely to put their hands in close proximity with their face when using optical and photographic equipment.
Best avoided since the coronavirus can be picked up from surfaces.
My nearest RSPB reserve Saltholme that I can visit in the County of Cleveland have announced that they have closed all there hides since yesterday, although you can still visit that reserve. Of course Visitor Centre, Shop and Cafe along with toilets closed as well.

My nearest RSPB reserve Saltholme that I can visit in the County of Cleveland have announced that they have closed all there hides since yesterday, although you can still visit that reserve. Of course Visitor Centre, Shop and Cafe along with toilets closed as well.

That makes more sense. I haven't been to Leighton Moss for many years but as I recall it's difficult to view the open areas unless you go in the hides; otherwise visitors are generally forced to walk along long paths surrounded by reeds.

Use of hides needs a lot of care. Not just the surfaces and obvious risk of contamination but also the chance of being sat close to other people.

Maybe carry your own sanitizing spray or whatever and sit at one end of the hide, then warn off anyone who tries to sit within six feet of you.

That's what I will do anyway.

Steve

I think sitting in hides starts to look a bit selfish. Pubs, cafes and non-essential shops are all closed, what's the difference?
We are told we can go outside for some exercise and fresh air. Sitting in a hide just seems to be stretching it a bit.

Afternoon. In Kent, the Dungeness reserve has closed its visitor centre and hides but the reserve is open. The same is true for our two bird observatories at Dungeness and Sandwich ( both closed)

Use of hides needs a lot of care. Not just the surfaces and obvious risk of contamination but also the chance of being sat close to other people.

Maybe carry your own sanitizing spray or whatever and sit at one end of the hide, then warn off anyone who tries to sit within six feet of you.

That's what I will do anyway.

Reality is people won't keep six feet away (and then there's getting in and out), and won't wipe the surface/door handles down. Unfortunately in being rigorous and following guidelines (advice on social distancing) there is only one real option ...

RSPB Burton Mere Wetlands released this statement yesterday

"Despite hoping to remain open, we have made the difficult decision to FULLY CLOSE RSPB Burton Mere to visitors with immediate effect; includes the car park, hides & trails, to restrict the spread of #coronavirus & prioritise the health & welfare of staff, volunteers & public."

Rutland Water reserves, including the Osprey viewing, are now completely shut for three months - decision by Anglian Water who are closing all of their 'water parks' and the tenanted areas such as nature reserves.

So no need to worry about going in hides.

STAY AT HOME
AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL
KEEP A SOCIAL DISTANCE
STAY SAFE AND WELL AND LET OTHERS DO THE SAME

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back