• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GS665 fragile? (1 Viewer)

mbeard

Hi all,

How many people have bought a GS665? Do they find it to be fragile?

I might decide to splash out on a GS665 that I have seen for a good price. However, so far I have not been able to find out much about people's experiences. There is a glowing report in the review section, but on the other hand one person had a focus wheel come off and I think there is a general feeling that this scope is just too lightly built to survive in the field?

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Mike

mbeard said:
Hi all,

How many people have bought a GS665? Do they find it to be fragile?

I might decide to splash out on a GS665 that I have seen for a good price. However, so far I have not been able to find out much about people's experiences. There is a glowing report in the review section, but on the other hand one person had a focus wheel come off and I think there is a general feeling that this scope is just too lightly built to survive in the field?

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Mike

Mike,

I have the ED version of this scope constantly in the boot of my car and have never had any problems with it. Because of its relatively lightweight it is ideal for general birding.

i have the GS665 and find it great. However the first one i had the fine focus wheel did fall out plus there were problems with the focusing, so i took it back and found out that it had been out on display and used by public. i then had a brand new one straight from opticron and its been great. Not fragile at all, its been all over the place.

I have not yet met many people who have one of these, but today met a guy who was having a lot of trouble with his GS.

On his first one the focus broke on the day that he got it. He received a replacement, and now a week later on a birding holiday the focus has gone on that one too!

I must say I am amazed by how well he is taking it, but he doubts he will accept another replacement and is looking at a Nikon ED50.

I opted for a second hand ES80ED in the end. Taken it out a quite a few times and it's doing fine except that it seems bigger than anything else out there.

Hope that helps

Mike

I have not yet met many people who have one of these, but today met a guy who was having a lot of trouble with his GS.

On his first one the focus broke on the day that he got it. He received a replacement, and now a week later on a birding holiday the focus has gone on that one too!

I must say I am amazed by how well he is taking it, but he doubts he will accept another replacement and is looking at a Nikon ED50.

I opted for a second hand ES80ED in the end. Taken it out a quite a few times and it's doing fine except that it seems bigger than anything else out there.

Hope that helps

Mike
Hmm. That doesn't sound very impressive. I've got myself an ED50 now anyway and am very pleased so far.

Ron

The focus wheel on my 3 year old ED80 came loose last year. Maybe it's a weakness with Opticron scopes? On the plus side, Opticron repaired it by return of post.

The smaller wheel is geared at a ratio of 9:1 and is really only for use in fine tuning the focus, let it run freely when changing the focus from near objects to infinity.

The smaller wheel is geared at a ratio of 9:1 and is really only for use in fine tuning the focus, let it run freely when changing the focus from near objects to infinity.

Ive had mine a year now and its been spot on. Very impressed with the scope, especially with the 25x hdf eyepiece.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back