• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Wagtail (1 Viewer)

steve covey

Jack of all Orders - Master of None
Hi again,
my friend has sent me another bird pic from his trip to Shanghai in August this year. It's obiously a wagtail of some sort but not sure which. Any help gratefully received.
TIA.
Steve.

Attachments

• Wagtail Shanghai 100806.CA.jpg
    Wagtail Shanghai 100806.CA.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 146
I'd suggest and eastern race of White Wagtail, though not sure how you'd tell leucopsis from lugens or personata in juv/1st w plumage

or alboides...ocularis

here is a leucopsis

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2086&Bird_Image_ID=39170&Bird_Family_ID=&p=15

Many thanks Jane,
I did wonder if it was some type of Motacilla alba - I think I was hoping to report back to my friend he had a shot of an 'exotic' wagtail;o) The taxonomy is a bit of a nightmare I guess so will probably have to leave it as M. alba...

Many thanks Jane,
I did wonder if it was some type of Motacilla alba - I think I was hoping to report back to my friend he had a shot of an 'exotic' wagtail;o) The taxonomy is a bit of a nightmare I guess so will probably have to leave it as M. alba...

Steve,
Note that Dutch Birding treat it as Amur Wagtail Motacilla leucopsis (you can download their WP list from www.dutchbirding.nl). In the OSME Region List (www.osme.org, click 'ORL' tab) we are more cautious with:
'Amur Wagtail' Motacilla (alba) leucopsis, because the breeding distribution is not well known, sampling is not confirmed from across its breeding distribution, and the extent and character of hybridisation around its breeding distribution has not been established. Your friend should keep his record in his notes in case of a future armchair 'tick'!
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back