• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographer with RX100: Needs scope/adapter advise (1 Viewer)

joe1512

Hey everyone! I am an adequate photographer that is comfortable with photography.
I chat at dpreview quite a bit. I was thinking more seriously about digiscoping but the info I have found has been fairly dated or too general.

I have an RX100 mark 1, a decent tripod, and a 52mm magnetic adapter for attaching filters and such. (probably not strong enough to support the entire camera weight at a 45 degree angle though).

I was hoping to ask your help to help me get a setup that is relatively inexpensive....like around 300 bucks: Scope + adapter. I am ok with a pretty ghetto adapter setup and want most of the money to go to the scope.

I am hoping to swing this with the wife by saying "its for the boys to learn", as a scope IS really cool for being able to observe wildlife which is fun. However, I just can't pull off a swarovski or the like.

I have answered a lot of newb questions at dpreview, so it is perfectly fine to tell me that I have unrealistic expectations or that Im better off getting a superzoom camera. I have a 20x SX260, but the digiscoping in theory would let me use my better camera and have a pretty good range upgrade. Plus allow the boys to observe.

But I am really hoping that it is possible to pull off a decent setup on a budget. If a few hundred more will make a significant difference let me know that as well.

Thanks a lot!!

you will had trouble getting an ED refractor for that money -unless you buy small secondhand & go for 50-65mm. another option is to get a cassegrain scope -folded mirror optics -although this design is cheaper its also a compromise
have you trawled the for sale here?

Thanks for the reply. I wound up going for an Alpen 728 which is nice and compact, and has worked adequately. Not amazing image quality thru the camera, but better than my travel zoom at equivalent range and a heck of a lot longer range when needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back