• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser kestrel (?) - Italy - April 2015 (1 Viewer)

Grus91

Luca Giussani
Hi everybody,

Here 2 pics of a female of kestrel photographed the 11th April 2015, Northern Italy.
I think it's good for a female of Lesser Kestrel (Falco naumanni).
What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Luca

Attachments

• 2017-05-04 01.32.29.jpg
    2017-05-04 01.32.29.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 2017-05-04 01.33.04.jpg
    2017-05-04 01.33.04.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 64
Difficult to say , on females the best way to distinguish from a regular Kestrel are the white claws and i cannot distinguish those in these pictures.

'parrot like' call helps in the field...

when we had a lesser kestrel corpse here the parcs guy had all sorts of info on the 'spots' love hearts or tear drops or such like and lots of comparisons. I had seen it in the field the day before and failed to call it lesser (add it to the list) - needless to say I would rely on call, wing formula and claws (although not 100% apparently) - also rely on getting a photo and asking on here....

Attachments

• Lesser Kestrel Monegros.JPG
    Lesser Kestrel Monegros.JPG
    646.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Lesser Kestrel monegros male.JPG
    Lesser Kestrel monegros male.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back