• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My sharpest digiscoping image to date with Pentax K100D (1 Viewer)

doug_newman

Hi all.

I am really getting to grips with my camera and scope now and this is by far my best shot ever!

For those interested in technical things.....
Common Myna
Pentax PF-80-ED and Pentx K100D F/8 1/180th sec ISO 400

Attachments

• myna2.jpg
    myna2.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 677
that's an impressive shot, I've tried dslr's on the back of a couple of scopes but have never been pleased with the results... how are you attaching it all together?

Hi there.

i am simply hand-holding the cheap 18-55mm lense that comes with the camera against the eyepiece. The reason I think it works so well is that the exit pupil of the Pentax is huge! I switch the camera to manual focus, look through the viewfinder and do all focusing with the focus on the scope.

What also helps is I have the Manfroto tripod with the three seperate levers to set pan, tilt and angle. I slightly loosen the pan a tilt so that they ahve ebough tension that my hand will hold it in place while I take a shot but at the same time without removing the camera from the scope I can search for other birds to photograph and be ready in a second or two to move from one bird to another to photograph.

Alo I am a firm bliever that the Pentax scope and the K100D digital SLR are so good that it just makes it so easy. Until pentax topped developing new products they were always leaders in their field. Hopefully their efforts to catch up will not stop!

I can't wait for a pentax SMCP-FA 300mm F2.8 lens :eek:)

Hi there.

i am simply hand-holding the cheap 18-55mm lense that comes with the camera against the eyepiece. The reason I think it works so well is that the exit pupil of the Pentax is huge! I switch the camera to manual focus, look through the viewfinder and do all focusing with the focus on the scope.

What also helps is I have the Manfroto tripod with the three seperate levers to set pan, tilt and angle. I slightly loosen the pan a tilt so that they ahve ebough tension that my hand will hold it in place while I take a shot but at the same time without removing the camera from the scope I can search for other birds to photograph and be ready in a second or two to move from one bird to another to photograph.

Alo I am a firm bliever that the Pentax scope and the K100D digital SLR are so good that it just makes it so easy. Until pentax topped developing new products they were always leaders in their field. Hopefully their efforts to catch up will not stop!

I can't wait for a pentax SMCP-FA 300mm F2.8 lens :eek:)
Hi Doug Are you aware of this accessory ?
http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/products/sougan/scope/pf-ca35/
Not that it appears you need it ;)
could you tell me at what distance the myna was?

Hi there.

Yes. I will be getting the scope adapter one of these days. As for the Myna, it was about 20 meters away. Why I like the eyepiece is you can vary from 20 - 60 time zoom whereas the scope adapter is about 40x fixed. In that case the 20x will be sharper and the Myna would have been to close at 40x.

Cheers.
Doug.

Hi there.

Yes. I will be getting the scope adapter one of these days. As for the Myna, it was about 20 meters away. Why I like the eyepiece is you can vary from 20 - 60 time zoom whereas the scope adapter is about 40x fixed. In that case the 20x will be sharper and the Myna would have been to close at 40x.

Cheers.
Doug.
Thanks Doug I'm seriously looking at a PF-80 to team up with my K10D I find my sigma 50-500 isn't long enough;)

Doug,
This looks good. Much better than I've been able to do with a DSLR.
You could try the 18-55mm in Auto-focus mode. I've tried with the Nikon 18-55mm and it will Auto-focus in good light in the 18-30 range hand-holding.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back