• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sad News (1 Viewer)

Peter Dolton

Those who were fortunate enough to be guided up through the Sani Pass to Lesotho will be shocked and saddened to learn that Robin Guy was shot and killed during a robbery when visiting his brother in law's house in Johannesburg last Wednesday.
His knowledge of geology, history and plants as well as birds made a day with him truely memorable.
Our thought go out to his family at this time.

Sad news indeed, Peter.

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying with Robin and Bella a couple of years ago and a more gentle, hospitable couple I have yet to meet. We were amongst the last people to stay with them; they announced over supper that they were selling the business as Robin was finding the trips up Sani Pass 3-4 times a week a bit tiring in his early 70's. He was looking forward to devoting more time to some of his other interests on a more leisurely basis. It is tragic that these dreams have been cut short so soon and in such a brutal fashion.

His warm, enthusiastic character as well as his great knowledge will, as you say, be greatly missed.

We offer our sincerest condolences to Bella and the family.

Mark & Louise Smiles

I can only add my condolences. We stayed at his old place just a month or two ago. Although he was 'retired' he himself took us up Sani pass where we had a superb day - great birds, unbelievable scenery and great company. Rob laid on a picnic in a beautiful alpine meadow of bulbs and other wild flowers, where our lunch was accompanied by Red-winged Francolins, Buff-streaked Chats and other high altitude birds. He was certainly a mine of information about the area. We did so well bird-wise that we descended the pass early. Instead of taking us back to the guesthouse, he detoured to some grassland sites where he interspersed Wattled Cranes and Yellow-breasted Pipits with some incredible local history. A real character. He will be much missed, I am sure.

The sad reality of South Africa, a tragic end to a life spent in such a stunning and amazing place. Nevertheless, to have lived a life in the shadows of the Sani Pass meant he lived a true life, few are the places on this world so beautiful.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back