• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Moths & field guide info (1 Viewer)

Andy Wraithmell

aka Limeybirder
Hi
I have just bought a mercury vapour moth trap and will be trapping in my local area (NW Florida) and wondered if anyone can recommend the best field guide to use. I also need some good moth pots for holding individuals once trapped - any recommendations. In fact any information regarding Eastern US moths especially Florida spp. would be most welcome.Thanks

Good luck with your new trap, Andy.
I had a look on www.bookfinder.com and the only titles it came up with under "Florida moths" were:
Thomas C. Emmel

Florida's Fabulous Butterflies & Moths

Busck, August

New Species of Moths of the Super-Family Tineina From Florida.

(about first of these)............ ISBN: 0911977155
Tampa, FL, U.S.A. World Publications 1997 Soft Cover Good 0911977155 Ex-Library Ex-Library. Keywords: BUTTERFLIES FLORIDA DIRECTORIES MOTHS NATURE REFERENCE SCIENCE ENTOMOLOGY
I wonder if there's a museum of natural history in Florida that you could consult re books? Otherwise, there are bound to be some websites.
Ken

Last edited:
Thanks Ken

I found a webiste that has some photographs of specimens captured in Florida and there is a field guide by peterson but its out of print and the only one I could find for sale wouldn't ship to Florida! Doh! I'll keep trying though. My trap hasn't arrived yet but Im eager to start. A couple of weeks ago we had a sphinx-hawk (of which there are many spp.) but it flew before I could trap it. In the summer we had several species of hummingbird-hawks but again without a book they were unidentified but still cool to watch. Very similar to our own european species but with different colours on the wings and body. If you are interested here is the florida website I found

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/moths/fl/toc.htm

:flyaway:

Last edited:
Some lovely lookers there, Andy. I hope you catch a few when your trap arrives. And please post some photos. That great leopard moth looks spectacular!
Interesting how many macro-moths haven't been given common names in the US--possibly reflects a comparatively low no. of moth'ers (and a lot of species).
I looked for the Peterson guide on www.bookfinder.com at one point and it cost a small fortune.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back