• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In praise of the Ultravid HD 10x32 (1 Viewer)

black crow

When I turned 65 I decided that I should finally have and use the best alpha quality binoculars I can find. It's been a long time coming. I'm not used to spending more than $500 for a pair of binoculars. I use binoculars 2-5 hours a day most days of each year. So I convinced myself even at +$2000 they made good value sense. After a fair amount of research I decided to buy a pair of 8x32 Swarovski ELs. I wasn't planning on buying a 10x right away because I had to emotionally get used to shelling out so much $$ but someone here PMed me and told me about a demo pair of Leica Ultravid 10x32 that were $650 off new price. For some reason it was the right moment because I knew very little about Leica but without hardly a moments thought I just bought them. A true impulse buy.

I was certain the Swaros would be the better binocular. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to do in-depth reviews so I won't embarrass myself by trying. However I was completely surprised by the Ultravids amazing sharpness, lack of any flaring that I could see, no rolling ball as in the Swaros and absolute ergonomic perfection because I seem to be able to hold these little beauties steadier than any other 10x I've ever used. I hike hard up mountains each day and on a harness they are almost unnoticeable until needed. The clincher however is the rich colors I see in them. Real depth and fullness. It's almost an emotional thing. I really think these are the best binoculars I've ever looked through and I've looked through several other alphas including the Zeiss 8x and 10x42 SF (belong to a neighbor) and Swaro 8x50B (inherited and recently sold) and Kowa Genesis 8x33 (bought used) along with the 8x32 EL .

There are areas where the Swaro EL certainly excel over the Leica but overall I must admit to myself I prefer the Leica. It's been total surprise to me. I received the Swaro about two days ahead of the Leica and was so pleased and awed I was certain I'd never see a better binocular so I even had a bias of sorts that had to be overcome.

Anyway I most highly recommend these small, lightweight, elegant beauties for their absolutely beautiful images. Everything I look at goes WOW right back at me. I'm really excited (see me gushing;)) and in awe and now a huge fan of Leica . If they ever make a Noctivid in 8x32 I don't think I could stop myself from buying one.

Last edited:
Troubadoris has an 8x32 version of the Ultravid and feels the same way. Swarovskis are super-fine binos but not only are they not the last word in binos they are not the only word in binos. Some days you will pick up the Swaro and others you will go for the Leica and once in a while you will feel guilty for neglecting the Kowa and will take that out instead. Enjoy the differences.

Lee

That's why I'm keeping them all including the Nikon EII. They are all more than this kid hoped of owning just a few years ago. I think I'd get a little bored with only one great bino. For better or worse that's the way of it. Besides I can think of only two people here who get the last word and I'm not mentioning any names.:-O

The 10x32 UV+ is my everyday bino and I find it ideal... actually almost too lightweight, as the earlier Trinovid was a bit easier to hold steady with its extra few ounces. I wouldn't enjoy anything smaller, and would need a good reason to carry anything larger (though I'm now equipped for that with an SLC 56!). I think Leica aims for exactly the kind of beautiful visual impression that you're now appreciating. That's certainly what all the hype about the Noctivid sounds like, though I have yet to see one. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Thanks, did you find the Trinovid optically close to the Ultravid? I'm also very curious about the Noctivid and I think my friend is about to order one so I'll be there when it arrives. I'll tell you what I see if that happens.

...did you find the Trinovid optically close to the Ultravid?...

They are the same or virtually the same optical formula (i.e. same lenses) so the views are identical apart from
differences in brightness/contrast/CA due to differences in coatings and exact glass types.

--AP

I took a long strenuous hike with the 10x32 today and I came away feeling like it's the perfect hiking binocular. Light, small, spectacular views. I can't find anything I don't like about this binocular. I guess I could get exceptionally picky and say maybe the eye relief could be longer but it works for me right now just fine. This is my new hiker.

Thanks, did you find the Trinovid optically close to the Ultravid?
They are the same or virtually the same optical formula (i.e. same lenses) so the views are identical apart from differences in brightness/contrast/CA due to differences in coatings and exact glass types.
They are similar in use... the HD+ is brighter than the BN (due to dielectric mirror coating, possibly also HT glass), and has less CA (presumably due to more ED glass). There's also something harder to describe, where subtle differences in color are more apparent. I noticed this comparing the two looking at a mountain ridge with an intrusion of a slightly different color rock, a bit more tan against the grey. (Rocks hold still for A-B comparisons better than birds.) This is the kind of thing Leica pays a lot of attention to.

I expect all this is true across the board for the BN and HD+ ranges. The fact is the BN is still an excellent bino, and I had to work hard to justify upgrading to the HD+. Somehow though I managed it. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back