• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Military binocular? (1 Viewer)

piaf79

Can anyone tell me about this binocular? Is it from WW2?

Thankful for any help:)

Attachments

• 46E23D70-1476-4EA4-825F-067620AAAA13-kopi.jpg
    46E23D70-1476-4EA4-825F-067620AAAA13-kopi.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 62
Hi Piaf,
Earlier.
It is a typical field glass, Galilean or Dutch type.
It could be WW1 or a civilian model.
Vast numbers were made, France, Britain, anywhere.

The problem can be that it doesn't have a dipotre correction, so needs equal eyes or if wearing glasses the field size can be reduced.
Also no IPD adjustment.

They vary in the number of glass elements and quality.
This may be about 5x?

If unnamed maybe £20.

Last edited:
Hi,

50 years ago British antique shops always had one or two, some had nice leather cases.

Everything Binastro says is correct.

A similar, but shorter design was used for low powered opera glasses held in coin release holders on the backs of seats in some British theatres in the 1950s. Modern opera glasses are similar in construction, but of low power, but nicer to use as they have adjustable ipd.

I believe the basic design was first used in the late 17th century.

There is currently a very similar pair for sale in this country that the seller has dated at 1880 - 1890 and has priced them at £25.

Dating, determining nationality and pricing of these (unlike early cameras) is generally an inexact science.

Last edited:
Oh Binastro Maestro you share again of your binocular wisdom! Thank you again! And iveljay: Thanks! Yes it looks like a theatre binocular, so i wasnt sure.

Hi,

Also no IPD adjustment.

Did they produce variants with different inter-pupillar distance so you could at least pick one that fit you, or was it really one size only? (In a military context, it would be entirely possible to pick field glass users from the recruits with standard IPD, after all.)

Regards,

Henning

Dear all,
On the WEB-site of House of Outdoor I have published a powerpoint of my lecture from last year in Muenich for the BHS entitled: "Multifunctional binoculars from the past four centuries", that gives enough information about the first theatre binoculars etc. The one showed in this thread is an example of a theatre glass with Lipperhey construction invented in 1608. Many of this kind of theatre binoculars were made between 1800 and 1900 by companies from different coutries and particular Chevallier in France made many. But read the powerpoint first and everything will be crystal clear.
Gijs van Ginkel

Excellent document, it looks as if the lecture must have been fascinating, thank you for pointing us to it.

There is something about going back to original source documents that is unbeatable, such as James Clerk Maxwell describing how he got his wife to stoke the boilers of his domestic house for some of his thermodynamic experiments that went on for days. Apparently she was more reliable than the servants I seem to remember. Far better than modern textbooks.

These Galilean binoculars don't have "exit" pupils as such, is that correct? That might allow them to get away without moveable IPDs? I have a very old, cheap center focus 4x40 that was given to me when I was about 9 years old that I used all the time and I can still use it. It does not have a moveable center hinge. My IPD is 68/69mm.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob,
There is no exit pupil as it has a negative eyepiece.
The field size is, in the main, determined by the objective size, length of optics and how near one can get ones eyes to the eyepiece. Also magnification. Some of the better ones have improved correction with more lens elements.

It may be that ladies or opera glasses have smaller separations, but some have movable IPDs.

I use 1.8x, 2x and larger. They are useful for estimating comet brightness, the smaller the comet coma appears the better.
Brightness or magnitude is fainter with larger binoculars. One tries to use a binocular that clearly shows the comet but not too big a binocular.

Incidentally binoculars, usually 7x, are used reversed to estimate the magnitude or brightness of an eclipsed moon. This is to make the moon appear as small as possible to compare to say Venus or Jupiter. The eclipsed moon varies a lot in brightness, but might be magnitude minus 3 or so in total eclipse. The colour also varies depending on earth cloud cover etc.

AFSA Paris ~2x24 60mm IPD

Unnamed 2x16 63mm IPD

Unnamed. I repaired 16 May 2005 Black. Excellent binocular 3x26 63m IPD ~8.5 degree field.

Sunday Telegraph 3x28. Severe field edge false colour. All plastic, maybe including the minimum 2 lenses that this has. Field ~6.5 degrees.
Front objective surface only blue coated, three other white uncoated surfaces.
These are sold under numerous names as 4x30s or sometimes something else.
Hinged. 56.5 to 71mm IPD.
However, don't laugh, as centrally this binocular is very good indeed. With a correct solar filter I saw a Mercury transit of the Sun. Mercury was 12.0 arcseconds diameter and with this genuine 3x binocular 36 arcseconds, and seen as a tiny black spot crossing the Sun.
I was surprised to see this repeatedly. My eyes were 20/15.

Never look at the Sun with or without optical aid unless experienced and using very safe filters.
Sun projection is the safe method.

I have a large field glass somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back