• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How old should a child be to use binoculars effectively? (1 Viewer)

sillyak

Hi everyone,

I have a daughter turning 4 in a month and she loves to go for "nature walks." I am wondering if I got her binoculars if it would be something she could use and have fun with, or if they would just be frustrating and it would be better for her to use her naked eye.

I let her look through my Meopta 10x42 and told her to tell me what she's sees and she said "whoa your truck is big daddy." So she can indeed see through them; but, the IPD won't go small enough and the Meopta's are fairly large, heavy and expensive for a child to use.

So can a 4 year old use binoculars effectively? If so what pair would be appropriate? I was thinking Kowa 6x30. I haven't measured her IPD, but she does have a fairly large head, I think she would need just a slightly smaller IPD than the Meopta's provide.

i had cheap $5 plastic bins for years and my daughters used them at 3to 4 yrs old and regularly afterwards. i have no idea how they saw anything except by pushing them as close together as they could but they certainly managed and at times spent ages looking through them down the paddock. they saw and identified rabbits which would have been very small to the eye alone but to be honest until they were 5 or 6 i couldnt be sure it was the bin image. but at 6 they could identify deer and wallabies and birds i couldnt see way down in the bush and in amongst trees so it was definitely binocular vision. they used to look at moon too.

brands change, kids' faces come in all sizes. take her to a good store and get real expert help or as i did, ebay a cheap bino or get a telescope. i think a pink plastic pair in a bright case would please her, to be like daddy or mummy, far more than an expensive set. she will enjoy looking the wrong way through them just as much at 4!

and remember to teach them from beginning DO NOT LOOK AT SUN

Last edited:
Hi,

So can a 4 year old use binoculars effectively? If so what pair would be appropriate? I was thinking Kowa 6x30.

I recently lent my Nikon 8 x 25 to a 4 year old when we were visiting the zoo, and it was difficult to tell if she was able to acquire the animals she was pointing the binoculars at. She certainly became frustrated with them when she had no luck finding a soaring bird others had pointed out. Just as Jape's daughters, she was very enthusiastic about the view she got from looking wrong way through the Nikon, which I had suggested to cheer her up after the soaring bird disappointment.

With regard to the best binoculars for kids, one contender might be the Papilio II 6.5x21. With its short minimum focusing distance and the inward Porro layout, it's great for viewing about anything kids might take an interest in.

Regards,

Henning

I let my 3-year old look through my Zeiss T-FL 7x42 and she loves it.
She can hold them steady but I have to help pointing the binocular, and she can't focus.

She loves the view though and from what she's saying, she actually sees the bird (or other things) quite well.

Most important in a children's binocular would be ease of view (low magnification, wide field of view), followed by weight and ease of grabbing. I don't feel any binocular out there has all those characteristics without compromise.
The ones with low mag. and wide FOV and low weight that could fit the bill would be the Pentax Papilio 6,5x...or something similar in 6-7x25-32.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back