• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bleach cleaning? (1 Viewer)

Merida

I recently had a wild bird that passed away. I washed the bird bath regularly with Antibacterial soap and water but the bird got salmonella. From what I've read online, diluted bleach is best for cleaning baths and feeders. I cleaned the feeders with bleach/water solution and am afraid to put them back up. The bird bath has been sitting upside down for a week now...my question is...is bleach cleaning actually safe for birds? How do I clean a bird bath with it? How do I know it will be rinsed out all the way? What is the proper solution for cleaning baths with bleach/water?

Thank you.

From the Cornell Lab of Ornithology:

Cleaning seed feeders
Moldy or decomposing seeds and hulls that accumulate on feeder trays can make birds sick. Bird droppings and other contaminants may also spread infectious bird diseases. Clean your feeders about once every two weeks, more often during times of heavy use or wet weather or if there have been reports of salmonella in your area or you have seen sick birds in your yard. To clean your feeder, take it apart and use a dishwasher on a hot setting or hand wash either with soap and boiling water or with a dilute bleach solution (no more than 1 part bleach to 9 parts water). Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry before refilling.
Clean the ground below your feeders, too, to prevent a build-up of hulls, uneaten seeds, and other waste. Moldy or spoiled food is unhealthy both for birds and for your outside pets. And bird food scattered on the ground can attract unwanted rodents.

Maintaining hummingbird feeders
Change sugar water at least every 3 to 5 days to prevent mold and deadly fermentation, and more frequently during hot weather. Clean feeders at least once a week with hot water and a bottle brush. Don’t use soap or a detergent. You can also clean hummingbird feeders by filling with a dilute bleach solution, but make sure to rinse them thoroughly and allow them to air dry before refilling.
Don’t put oil or other sticky substances around feeding ports to deter bees; you might contaminate the nectar. If bees, wasps, or ants become a problem, try moving the feeder, or go to our feeder pests and predators page for other solutions.

Hope this helps! I don't think the Cornell Lab would advise us to use a bleach solution mix if it were bad for the birds, just make sure you get the portions correct :t:

I did it as directed with water and let it set. I rinsed for about 8 minutes or so. It still smells like a swimming pool. If I let it dry out until there is no more smell, is the bleach really gone? Would it be safe? I plan on washing it with soap and water tomorrow but am not sure if that will work. I can't get rid of the smell and the birdbath is also gray (wasn't gray when I bought it) still. I don't know how to fix it. Should I use more bleach even though it still smells strongly of it?

Thank you.

Hi

What is the bird bath made of? This will help to explain the colour change and if the bleach has soaked in or not?

I assume you have used chlorine bleach - from the smell you describe?

Hi

What is the bird bath made of? This will help to explain the colour change and if the bleach has soaked in or not?

I assume you have used chlorine bleach - from the smell you describe?

It's made out of concrete. And yes, I used Clorox bleach with Cloromax (said to be a type of chlorine, and many articles suggested chlorine bleach). The birds are so thirsty. I am thinking of using something else for the birds' water in the meantime until this gets fixed. It was a 44 dollar concrete bath from Lowe's. It has rabbits on the bottom of the pedestal. I tried scrubbing the grey off to no avail.

Aaah… I can see now that you specified that it's a bird BATH, not a feeder. The instructions are very similar, so you're still ok, but thespruce.com advises that you keep rinsing if the chlorine smell is very strong after you're done. I will post the complete directions from start to finish, but if you can get a pressure washer/cleaner that would probably be the best option for rinsing the bath.

Step 1-Dump the water

The first step in cleaning a very dirty bird bath is to get rid of the contaminated water. This water is often filled with organic material such as feces, algae and dirt, and it is safe for watering nearby flowers or plants. Dump the water out in an area where it will be recycled to help the rest of your garden, but treat the basin of your bird bath carefully to avoid damage. If the basin of your bath does not detach, simply tip or tilt the pedestal carefully to drain the water onto nearby plants or grass.
To safeguard your birds from this dirty water, avoid dumping the basin near bird feeders or spilled seed that ground-feeding birds may sample.

Step 2- Rinse the basin

Using the pressure setting on your hose nozzle, rinse the bird bath for 10-15 seconds to remove any stuck on debris, feces or loose dirt. You may not see much change from this rinse, but removing surface material will help the bath be cleaned more thoroughly. If your bird bath has a textured basin, be sure to tilt your hose at different angles to get in every space.
If your bird bath has a delicate surface, avoid the highest pressure setting that may loosen a mosaic or chip a surface finish. Instead, use lower pressure or wipe the surface lightly with a soft sponge or rag.

Step 3-refill the basin

Refill the bird bath basin until it is nearly, but not quite, full. It is essential to fill past any obvious dirt or algae lines to ensure that every affected surface will be cleaned, as only areas covered with water will be cleaned. Check that the basin is as level as possible to ensure uniform water levels for even cleaning. If desired, you can leave the basin on the ground to do this, but it will be just as easy if it is on its pedestal.

Step 4- add bleach

Carefully add a generous cupful of bleach to the water, taking care not to spill the bleach onto nearby plants or grass, and avoiding splashes onto clothing or nearby fabrics. When adding the bleach, pour it slowly around the entire surface of the basin to mix it thoroughly with the water. If desired, use a stick or twig to mix the bleach with the water.
The amount of bleach you add can vary, but do not add more than 1.5 cups to a basic bird bath. A very shallow bath will need less bleach, while more bleach may be necessary for a deeper or excessively dirty bird bath. Basic chlorine bleach is most effective, but if you prefer a green-based similar product, you can adjust this cleaning technique for your preferences. Do not use window cleaners, powdered cleansers or other types of chemical products, as they will not be effective.

Step 5-cover the basin

Cover the entire bird bath basin with your black plastic trash bag. This will keep the birds away so they do not drink or bathe in the chemically treated water, and the black color will absorb solar radiation to heat the water and clean the bath more quickly. Pull the bag thoroughly over the basin and down the pedestal so it will not blow away in a breeze. If you are cleaning a ground bath, weight the bag down along the edges to keep it in place.
At this point, leave the bath to soak for 10-15 minutes. This is a great time to refill or clean bird feeders, make hummingbird nectar, check a bird house or tend to other tasks in the backyard. If necessary, you can leave the bird bath to soak for far longer, but for thorough cleaning a minimum of 10 minutes is recommended. Very dirty bird baths may need longer soaking to be fully clean. Soaking the bath longer will not be detrimental in any way - the bath will just get cleaner.

Step 6-remove the trash bag

When you remove the trash bag after letting the bleach water soak, your bird bath will look like new. If there are still remains of algae or scum in the basin, replace the trash bag and let it soak longer. Otherwise, discard the trash bag or save it for reuse – the same bag can be used every time you need to clean your bird bath.
It is important not to leave the bird bath untended at this point. The clear water and full basin can quickly attract thirsty birds, but the high chlorine levels in the water can be fatal. Instead, drain the water immediately. Avoid dumping it directly on grass or plants, but feel free to dump it on weeds or in an unused area of your yard. As with your first water dump, avoid draining the chlorine water near bird feeders or spilled seed.

Step 6-rinse the basin

After dumping out the bleach water, use the pressure setting on your hose to thoroughly rinse the bath. A rinse cycle of at least 1-2 minutes is recommended to dilute any remaining traces of bleach and make the basin safe for drinking and bathing. As before, tilt the angle of your hose to ensure you get into every nook, cranny and crease of the basin so every part of the surface is thoroughly rinsed, and take care to protect delicate surfaces.
If you aren't sure when the basin is properly rinsed, stop and sniff the bath's surface. If it smells strongly of chlorine, more rinsing is necessary. A faint chlorine scent is acceptable, but it should not smell as strongly as a pool would. At this point, too much rinsing is better than too little - err on the side of extra rinsing rather than not enough, or the water may be contaminated.

Step 7-sun dry the bird bath

Allow your freshly cleaned bird bath to thoroughly dry in the sun. This will further discourage algae growth and keep the bath fresh for a longer period of time, and it will help sterilize the surface against bacteria or other contaminants. On a hot, sunny day, the basin can dry in just a few minutes, and you can use this time to put away your cleaning materials or finish refilling bird feeders.
If you do not have the time to allow the bath to thoroughly dry, it is acceptable to skip this step so long as the basin is thoroughly rinsed.

Step 8-refill the bird bath

Refill your freshly cleaned bird bath with cool, clear water for the birds to enjoy. Properly filled, a bird bath should have a depth no greater than 1-2 inches so birds can easily drink and bathe. If your basin is too deep, consider adding large, flat stones to give birds a shallower area to use. You can also attach a dripper, mister or bubbler to attract more birds.
Voila! Your bird bath is clean and safe for the birds, without using any scrub brushes or elbow grease. With the bleach treatment, the bath will remain clean for several days. You can keep it clean even longer by draining, pressure rinsing and refilling the bath daily before it will need another thorough cleaning.

I know you didn't need all those steps but someone else might. I apologize for misreading your post. Now I'm off to watch videos on bird diseases and how to recognize them to ensure that I'm not hurting 'my' birds. It's so great that you are aware enough to recognize that there was an issue and DO something about it, bless your heart. o:D

Hi

As the bath is concrete the bleach may have soaked in to the surface. As with the last post keep rinsing until the bleach smell goes.

In the mean time you could try using some shallow bowls we do in out allottment, those for pasta are good.

Hi

As the bath is concrete the bleach may have soaked in to the surface. As with the last post keep rinsing until the bleach smell goes.

In the mean time you could try using some shallow bowls we do in out allottment, those for pasta are good.

Today, I went outside to check it out again. It no longer smelled of chlorine. So, I suppose the heat dried it up. I just washed it with Dawn dish soap and rinsed it again and colored water started coming off it like a very light green color. I smelled it, it had no smell so not sure if it was bleach or just soapy water. I'm letting it dry out after rinsing for 15 minutes or so this time. I am still unsure if it is safe. Does sunlight destroy bleach? Or did it just deodorize it?

@Fraulein ash
No need to apologize, it's ok. I never realized how feeding birds could be dangerous...not just to birds but to us humans as well. I'm glad I never touched that sick bird even though I thought about for a moment. I could've caught what it had.

Hi Chlorine always smells of chlorine! My suggestion would be - Try filling up the bath with water and covering it with a black bag so the birds cannot use it. Leave it overnight and check there is no smell or colour.

Concrete is alkaline and chlorine bleach acidic, so you probably had a reaction as the bath was not sealed. Perhaps you could try hydrogen peroxide bleach next time, like people use to sterilise babies bottles, that decomposes to water so would be completely safe :)

Hi Chlorine always smells of chlorine! My suggestion would be - Try filling up the bath with water and covering it with a black bag so the birds cannot use it. Leave it overnight and check there is no smell or colour.

Concrete is alkaline and chlorine bleach acidic, so you probably had a reaction as the bath was not sealed. Perhaps you could try hydrogen peroxide bleach next time, like people use to sterilise babies bottles, that decomposes to water so would be completely safe :)

After giving my feeders a wash in soapy water I then leave them to soak in Milton fluid (sterilizing tablets for babies bottles). This ensures that they are fully sterilized before refilling and does not leave any odour.

What about using vinegar instead of bleach? I've seen many mentions of that online...also in the instructions that came with my feeder. Is it as effective?

I have had bird baths in my various gardens over the years, and have never felt the need to use any chemicals, my recommendation would be a good scrubbing brush every two days in hot weather and re fill with clean water, that way you know it will all be safe.if its a feeder that cannot be accessed easily with a brush, I would recommend the powder that is used for sterilising wine making equipment, but rinse several times after soaking, I use this on our pet Guinea pigs feeder bottle, ...they are still alive !

Mark

What about using vinegar instead of bleach? I've seen many mentions of that online...also in the instructions that came with my feeder. Is it as effective?

good suggestion! :t:

my birdfeedes are made of common acrylic plastic and i clean it using an old kitchen sponge with the cheapest White wine: it clean and disinfects anything in a natural way without smells.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back